Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Another Meeting

After letting Scarlett rest for a while, I decided to let Melly out for another trial interaction. I know it's too soon, but at this point, they've already met... if they hate each other forever, well, it's too late to fix it now. Here's a video of Melly invading Scarlett's tree; at about the 28 second mark, Scarlett makes known her disapproval.

video

After this, Melly hopped down and attacked the curtains...

video

...while Scarlett looked on disapprovingly.


Really, the biggest problem seems to be that Melly isn't respecting Scarlett's space. I'm not terribly surprised since I've heard most kittens are like that.

I guess now I'll just gradually increase the time that Melly is allowed to run around and hopefully Scarlett will eventually come to tolerate her. On the plus side, at least there's no violence...

5 comments:

G said...

Okay, while it wasn't exactly Paul and Stevie singing "Ebony And Ivory" it wasn't the Middle East either. I think and hope they will come to an understanding... Scarlett has to get used to not having the cat concession monopoly any longer and Melly has to learn to respect her elders. I'm glad you are documenting this process!

tedder said...

Yeah, that doesn't seem to be an issue. Really.

Anonymous said...

Everything looks remarkably normal. Whether "love" between these two ever happens is anyone's guess....tolerance is a certainty.

Doc Phyllis said...

Sounds exactly like my experience adopting Fred/Jasper from Hubble Space Paws. You can read about it here : http://hubblespacepaws.blogspot.com/search/label/Maples-Fred October 3rd is when Jasper arrives, and Kona goes from growling to grooming in under a week. I was blown away.

Popessa said...

I would agree. Occassionally my cat Marcel stayed with my mother-in-law and her cat Pixie for a week at a time when my hub and I are on vacation. Initially, Marcel goes under the bed and Pixie would his. At the end of the week, they would pass by and generally ignore each other.

Plus, I think Scarlett needs to see Melly. If you still feel cautious, I would suggest a glass divider between them for several days then they just need to be allowed to mingle and things will take their course.

Cats are territorial, but they do not personalize what is happening the way we do. So, emotions about like/dislike are not going to to them in.