Monday, April 26, 2010

A Note About Melly's Nighttime Habits

In short, Melly's approach to sleeping at night is extremely energetic and involves full use of all of her pointy bits. She occasionally burrows under the covers, which is pretty cute, but seems to get bored quickly, and so focuses her attention on trying to wake me up to play. (I should add that I need a minimum of eight hours of sleep. Twelve is better.) Melly has a couple of methods of waking me up: if I lay on my stomach, she bounces around on my head and shoulders (claws!) chewing my hair. If I lay on my back or side, she bites my nose and/or chin - hard. She also likes to pace back and forth across my pillow - the fact that my head is in the middle of my pillow does not deter her. Aside from the claws-on-scalp issue, I really prefer that those litter box paws not touch my pillow. Bed, fine. Pillow, not so much.

Scarlett is a quiet and injury-free snuggler, and causes minimal sleep interference. However, Melly likes to chase Scarlett off the bed as soon as she's settled in, which usually involves hissing and growling and also wakes me up.

I have tried tiring Melly out before bed with lots of vigorous playing, but that only seems to quiet her down for an hour or so, then she's back to her old tricks. The fact that she naps for much of the day, including at least a couple of hours in the evening, probably has something to do with this. I have tried just allowing Scarlett in the bedroom, but that doesn't work out well because Melly wants in and Scarlett wants out for litter box use and food and much loud meowing from both ensues.

And so, neither cat is allowed in the bedroom at night. I miss Scarlett's purring and cuddling, but I do not miss Melly's efforts to maul me. I plan to try again once she is through with her teething and calms down a bit, but until then, sleep takes precedence.



Here's a video of Melly gnawing on Scarlett's tail. Scarlett put up with it for a surprisingly long time (that's her purring in the background) before swishing her tail out of Melly's grasp and stalking away.

video

11 comments:

tedder said...

Aw, our cats would be trouble if they weren't allowed in the bedroom at night. Hopefully Melly mellows out of this.

Rene said...

Oh, Melly, you goofy girl. She's just in her wild-and-crazy stage and will grow out of it eventually. In my case, I've learned to sleep through most of our cats' antics.

Puglette said...

oh those sharp baby teeth and claws...like needles! we have a 14 week old puppy who likes to bite and play with appendages too. i don't have any advice, but i do have tons of sympathy! thank goodness they are so darn cute!
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Katnip Lounge said...

Kittens = unending energy!
xx Lounge Kats

Amy and The House of Cats said...

Wow I am surprised that she is so energetic at night. With both Barney and Virgil they would go right to sleep as kittens - it is now that they are older that they want to play/run/chase things. But I know that the kitten claws are the sharpest things on earth so I can sympathize a lot - sometimes they do it and just don't realize it, but when they do it is very frustrating.

pbgmomof5 said...

You are going to hate me for this suggestion, but the way I solved your problem was to have TWO kittens at the same time. They keep each other busy and leave the older sibs alone. I can see it now ... a little Rhett or Ashley. Tee Hee!

Natalie said...

Amy & THOC: I have no idea where that energy comes from. When Melly and Scarlett are locked out of the bedroom they're very quiet, so I think Melly is only that energetic when I am there as a potential playmate.

pbgmomof5: For exactly the reason you stated, I had planned on eventually getting a pair of kittens. But... Melly came along and the rest is (very chaotic) history :)

G said...

I like the idea of yet another kitten (Geoff could wear them like epaulettes) but at that point, Natalie, I think you would be just trading problems. (From a spastic Melly to an really unhappy Scarlett!) She has been doing very well adapting to her new sister, by the way.

Natalie said...

G: Agreed about trading problems. Aside from that, though, I have a strict two-cat limit. :)

carmar76 said...

At least she's just a kitten climbing all over your pillow. Angel is a 10 lb fullon cat and she has developed suddenly (in the last 6 months or so) this obsession with my pillows! While I'm using them! Thankfully she usually gets the hint after I've pushed her off a time or two, but yeesh! lol

BethAnn said...

I'm sure Melly will grow out of her nocturnal antics. When Coco first became part of the family she was so excited to have me that she just wanted to play with me ALL THE TIME. She will now, maybe once a week, wake me up in the middle of the night for pets. Although I did recently wake up in the middle of the night to her taking small bits of the blanket in her mouth and shaking her head until the blanket was thoroughly dead. Over and over. I have no clue what that was about.

One of the cats who stayed with the wasband chewed on my hair every single night. It started as licking then turned to chewing. I never figured out how to get him out of that habit. And keeping him out of the bedroom was not possible - he would hurl his entire body against the door all night long.

It's a good things these furries are so lovable!