Thursday, May 6, 2010

Close-Ups

Great segue, eh? Paws... paws... coffeecake!

I realize that this blog is supposed to chronicle the adventures of Scarlett and Melly, not my forays into the art of baking, but they're really very closely linked. (Bear with me here.) I like to bake. I spend a lot of time baking. Therefore, Scarlett and Melly spend a lot of time watching me bake. (And climbing up my leg while I bake. And trying to get onto the counter to eat what I bake.) Thus, my baking is really an adventure of Scarlett and Melly. Makes perfect sense, right?

Ok, maybe not, but I know from the recipe requests on previous posts that I'm not the only cat lover who also enjoys baking. And so, I hope you'll forgive, and maybe even enjoy, my occasional recipe postings.*

And so, without further ado, here is the recipe for coffee cake à la Nadine (my aunt):

Ingredients
¼ lb soft butter
1 cup sugar (I used half)
2 eggs
½ pint sour cream (I used light)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt

Nut topping
1 tsp cinnamon
½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts are my usual choice, but I was out and used pecans, which were very tasty)
¼ cup sugar (I used brown sugar)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F
Cream butter and sugar
Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla
Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda
Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture
Butter tube pan or two loaf pans (I used one large loaf pan)
Put ½ batter into pan and sprinkle ½ nut mixture, then add remaining mixture and top with remaining nuts
Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (it was close to an hour for me)

Variations
Add chocolate chips or berries to middle layer
Add a light drizzle of glaze


*The obvious solution would be to start a separate baking blog, but I get a lot of my favorite recipes from existing blogs, and anyway my skills aren't quite up to snuff yet. I have a lot of frostings that go glop and cakes that won't rise and curds that won't solidify. Someday I'll get there. :)

14 comments:

Chris said...

Love your blog header photo!

Oh, don't bother with a different blog. Here's the thing - people are complicated and interesting, and I think blogs are more interesting when they capture some of that complexity. Reading entirely about one thing or another eventually gets dull - but including a bunch of things, that's what keeps me reading.

Katnip Lounge said...

Well, we see you forgot to put "cat hair" in the list of ingredients. hmmmm. You know it's in there anyway...
heh heh xx lounge kats

G said...

Well, Melly can help make biscuits, right?

Marlene said...

I love it that you put your recipes on this blog! That lemon cake was amazing (I cut the sugar and used 2% yogurt). Looking forward to trying this coffee cake out.

Natalie said...

Chris & Marlene: Yay, thank you! I had this vision of people reading the blog going, "What, another recipe I'll never try?! I want kitten pictures, darn it!" Good to know people like the variety and try the recipes :)

Lounge Kats: I am SO obsessed with keeping the cat hair out of the kitchen. There is much lint rolling and wiping.

G: Scarlett and Melly are both ace at the biscuit-making. It's very cute.

Anne Boleyn said...

Whoa! Gotta go back and look for the lemon cake recipe.
Please keep posting kitties and cooking together. It's wonderful and two for the price of one!
P.S. Those are some big kitty feet!

Geoff said...

As a (sorta) unbiased consumer of Natalie's baked goods, I can confirm that the coffee cake is DELICIOUS! And having repeatedly watched Natalie giving herself a thorough going-over with a lint roller I can attest that if there is any cat hair in any of her food, it's a shock that defies understanding. I've even suffered from her assaults with the lint roller, but as I'm not normally a part of the baking process, I'm normally spared.

Sue said...

Kitties and baking make a perfectly lovely combination. Almost makes me want to take up baking..

Sue (Not that one, another one) said...

yes please, cover both topics here, will save me from having to follow another blog :) two for the price of one

Patti said...

Cat hair is a special seasoning in my cooking!

I'm done with my coffee, but I sure would have liked a piece! Looks delicious.

nichole said...

That coffee cake looks delicious! I'm definitely adding the recipe to my roster

Kitty said...

I don't mind a few recipes thrown in between the kitty hijinks. Keep 'em coming.

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

I like reading about your baking and receipes and seeing the photos of the kitties trying to help. Cat hair is a condiment if you live with cats like I do. I am always finding cat hair no matter how much I use the lint roller.

Old Lady said...

If you combine a kitty blog with a recipe blog, you will have an unbeatable comombination, at least for this reader.