Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Yum

Scarlett: "A little help here?"

When I made those lemon-raspberry cupcakes, I thought they might turn out to be the deliciousness and prettiness pinnacle of my baking career. They were so cute! And so lemony!

And then I made this:
It's filled with lemony cream cheese AND lemon curd!! (I cannot adequately express my enthusiasm for lemon curd without capital letters and multiple exclamation points. I just can't.) Also, I got more compliments on this from my coworkers than anything I've made so far. And not just the polite I can see you spent a lot of time on this so I'm going to say something nice compliments; we're talking I haven't even finished my first bite and I'm going to talk with my mouth completely full so I can tell you how amazing this tastes compliments.

And here's the best part: it's not that hard to make.

This is another Smitten Kitchen recipe, found here. I doubled the recipe, which worked nicely since SK cut it in half to start. Doubling it actually made the measuring easier since instead of six tablespoons I could do 3/4 cups. I assembled both loaves, then stuck one right in the fridge. Loaf #1 rose and then was baked so Geoff and I could sample it. Loaf #2 was pulled out of the fridge at 4:30 this morning to get to room temperature and rise, then baked at 7:30 so it would still be warm when I got to work.

The other modifications I made were to use both low fat cream cheese and sour cream. I worried they might affect the texture, but if they did, I couldn't tell.

And in case you want to make your own lemon curd, here is my favorite recipe, which hasn't failed me yet (SK included a recipe also, but I can't vouch for that one):

Lemon Curd
3 ounces unsalted butter
room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Beat the butter with the sugar until it’s light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the eggs and yolks. Beat for 1 minute more, then stir in the lemon juice. The mixture will look curdled. Do not panic.

Cook the mixture over low heat until it becomes smooth, then increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, without letting it boil, until it thickens enough to leave a path on the back of the spoon when you drag your finger through it. If you want to go by temperature, you’re looking for 170 F.

Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest. Press plastic wrap on surface to prevent a skin from forming and chill in the refrigerator.

5 comments:

Puglette said...

that is absolutely beautiful!! you are a very talented cook. and you have cute kitties too!
hugs,
puglette
:o)

Mona said...

i want some. makes me want to get a job in your office. I would commute for pastry!

Katnip Lounge said...

Will you come and live at our house? Bring the kitties, too! Yummy!

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

Yum is right! Melly what are you doing to poor Scarlet. Leave her be!

Patti said...

I'm not much of a baker, but I'm an excellent taste-tester. And this looks delicious!

I wish you were my co-worker. (Sigh and stomach growl)