Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Battle for the Lap

Lately, when I sit on the couch, both Melly and Scarlett want to be on my lap at the same time. They will both settle into loaf-cat position on my lap, only to discover that (of course) it is not nearly big enough to accommodate both of them and Scarlett's mandatory one-foot buffer zone. And so, after a tense stare down during which my legs fall asleep, one will kick the other off.

The one who was kicked off will usually make herself comfortable on the back of the couch or by my feet, but the other day, Melly discovered what is now her favorite spot.


8 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

The knee-tent! What a great spot to cuddle. Unless you eat beans.

Marlene said...

Very cute indeed. Not very comfortable for the humnan, but an excellent place for the kitty

G said...

So you are down to a one foot exclusionary zone, are you? Think how far you have come! Do you think this one foot thing will shrink as they hang out more?

Anju said...

My Bella also loves being in the knee tent.

Natalie said...

Katnip: Ha! No beans, but given Melly's SBD problem, I don't think she'd be in a position to complain :)

Marlene: Melly has zero regard for human comfort, as evidenced by this, and the fact that she likes to sleep on my head. She's such a nut.

G: They certainly have come far! They still have knock-down, drag-out fights quite frequently, so I think it'll be a while before the one-foot zone shrinks. But they also occasionally have really sweet moments, like when Scarlett gives Melly a full-on Butterbean-style bath, so I have hope!

Shaina said...

Loaf-cat position? That makes me lol.

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

I had to read the comments to figure out what position that was. Funny photo!

Natalie said...

Sylvestermiasmomma: It probably would've been easier to tell if I hadn't cropped out the fuzzy Christmas socks I was embarrassed to be wearing in June :)