Tuesday, June 22, 2010

How Melly Has Grown

First of all, thank you to Anne Boleyn, who suggested that Scarlett might have feline acne, and to Rene, who agreed and offered some treatment advice. I did some research, and I am fairly sure they're right about the acne. I left a voicemail for the vet last night and am hoping she can squeeze Scarlett in later today. I also washed and disinfected Scarlett's chin last night, and will continue the regimen.

While the acne is probably pretty unpleasant for Scarlett, I am so relieved that she doesn't actually have Melly-inflicted wounds. The timing of the acne means it probably is Melly-related, so I'm feeling pretty guilty, but I'm glad it's not directly Melly's doing.

There have been some comments lately about how much Melly has grown, so I thought I'd do a little comparison shot. This photo of Melly and Scarlett eating, originally posted here on May 3rd, provided the perfect opportunity to see the size difference between them. Melly was still quite teeny, although I remember thinking at the time how big she was getting.


I've been stalking these two with the camera during their meals for a while, hoping to get the same shot. This one is reversed, but I think it's close enough. Melly has certainly grown! She doesn't quite have the leggy teenager look anymore - she just looks like a very small and slightly fluffy cat.

11 comments:

Marlene said...

How lovely they both are. Love Melly's tail... so thick and full. Scarlett's markings are exquisite! I have to admit, I'm partial to tabbies.

bentley1530 said...

Scarlett looks a little larger in the picture. Has she gain weight along with Melly?

Natalie said...

Marlene: I'm starting to wonder if Melly's going to end up with a plume, her tail's getting so fluffy. And Scarlett really is gorgeous :)

Bentley: I think part of it is the camera angle, but yes, Scarlett's a bit tubby. It's mostly because I want to make sure that Melly gets as much food as she needs to grow properly - and Scarlett helps herself to Melly's food. As soon as Melly's fully grown, I'll be managing their food intake pretty closely so Melly stays at a healthy weight and Scarlett slims down.

Amy and The House of Cats said...

Wow, what a difference already! She is definitely a small cat now!

We had a feline acne outbreak around the same time we got one of the kittens (I think it was Virgil) and I initially thought it was a result of a fight too - like someone got bopped and then as it healed kept scratching at it. It took a while to discover what it really was - so it is good you were able to find out fairly quickly!

Tanya Sloan said...

Holy cow, Melly is a teenager!

kelley said...

love seeing how well they get along now...they are both beautiful girls...

Rene said...

Wow, she's grown a lot! Still a cutie either way, though.

Patti said...

Who took a break from playing to eat? (Cute mouse!)

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

Great to see how Melly is growing and so fast too!

Ayla and Iza, said...

Oh yes, Melly is certainly growing! They will BOTH be plump happy kitties soon.

Cynthia M. Suprenant said...

I wonder how Scarlett would fare if Mammy or Miss Pittypat tried to get her into that corset now! ;) Lovely kitties.