Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Kitties' New Friend

Before I get to the post I was originally going to put up today, I wanted to share a quick story from this morning: while Geoff and I were eating breakfast, Scarlett was playing with a little ball of paper, happily batting it around and chasing it. She batted it over to Melly, who took over the playing in her usual ridiculous manner. After a while, Melly batted the paper ball back over toward Scarlett, and waited. Scarlett batted it, Melly batted it back. They took a few swats at each other in between exchanges of the paper ball, but still - they played together!
It was thrilling.


And on to the post:

Before my sister came to visit, I warned her about Scarlett's standoffishness and Melly's overabundance of affection. As it turned out, I only needed to warn her about one of those. Here is Scarlett, sitting on my sister's lap, purring happily:

And here is Melly with her new favorite person:


And here is a picture my sister snapped with her cell phone shortly after meeting Melly that she wanted to share:

7 comments:

Amy and The House of Cats said...

It is always so great when they finally start to play together - and have it actually be play! Next thing you know they will be all snuggly (well, ok maybe that is pushing it a bit). And it is so funny that you thought Scarlett would be standoffish and then she decided not to be - of course if you hadn't said anything beforehand you know she would have been standoffish of course!

BethAnn said...

Yay - playing!!! I've always viewed swatting and wrestling as kitty play-time. Seeing the photos of Scarlett & Melly over the last few weeks has given me the impression that they are definitely friends. Scarlett seems to have a curiosity about Melly and Melly wouldn't be as persistent with Scarlett if she was getting hostile treatment. I think it has been and will continue to be great!

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

I second the Yay on playing together! Mine only chase and wrestle each other. My tabby loves to bat around a rolled up ball of paper. I can actually play catch with her too. Aren't cats entertaining and surprising at times!

Rene said...

Aawwwww, what cute photos! And playing together is so fun to watch, isn't it? I wish ours would play together more.

Anne Boleyn said...

Once again I say that those feet of Melly's are astonishing!

Fabulous Fabs said...

My, my... Your Melly has a more grown up face now...

Ayla and Iza, said...

I wish Ayla would play with ME like that! But at least I can bring toys back to TBT and he tosses them again.

Iza