Thursday, July 29, 2010

Playing

When Scarlett first came to live with me, I got the impression that she wasn't particularly playful. Affectionate, certainly, but not playful. She loved the laser pointer and catnip, but didn't seem interested in feather wands, glitter balls, etc. As it turned out, she actually loved to play, but not with an audience. (This is partially why I was so shocked to see Scarlett and Melly playing with the paper ball - it wasn't just that they were playing together, but that Scarlett was playing publicly.) I used to find my socks in strange places and couldn't figure out what Scarlett was doing with them until one day when I was home sick from work and Scarlett had forgotten that I was there: she started running around my apartment, tossing a sock up in the air and catching it on her head. I couldn't help but laugh, and of course she stopped and proceeded to ignore the sock.


"I don't play. I am dignified and serious."

Last night, Scarlett out-kittened Melly, gleefully bounding around with a yarn ball, batting it around and carrying it in her mouth. She careened around the apartment with the little red ball for several minutes while I surreptitiously watched from the bathroom doorway. Unfortunately, Melly skittered by and gave me away - Scarlett immediately dropped her yarn ball and sat down a little ways away, pointedly ignoring it.


"She plays. I've seen it."

This is all in stark contrast to Melly, who attacks and plays with everything that moves, and many things that don't. Last night, we played fetch with her wine cork for about 20 minutes. Fetch! Like a puppy! I couldn't believe it was happening, and that she stayed interested for so long - I actually ended the game because I wanted to go to bed. I'm curious to see whether she'll play again today, or if it was a one-time deal.

10 comments:

Chris said...

Both mine are fetching kitties! In fact... when I sit down in the bathroom, they both come rushing in with their favorite fetch toys. LOL!

Ayla and Iza, said...

Eventually, we all play with the same stuffs. Because we look at each other ta see if the toys are good.

Well, WE do annyway.

Anonymous said...

Fetching is pretty common. Enjoy!

G said...

Scarlett is a very complex kitteh! (She is the Heisenberg Principle cat!!)

BTW, my cat loves to play fetch with a crumpled up piece of paper.

Natalie said...

Wow, I had no idea cats playing fetch was such a normal thing... cool!

Geoff said...

HA!! G, I love applying Heisenberg! That's great! (I'm a physics geek)

Shaina said...

My parents' cat Neeter used to fetch. Soo cute!

Rene said...

Oh Melly, fetching with a wine cork sounds like a great game. We are glad you are letting your people know that Scarlett plays too.

Marlene said...

Heisenberg kitty, love it! My 9 (yes, the number... that's my cat's name not the number of kitties I have) also plays fetch. Pleased me to no end when he demonstrated his retrieving skill. However, at 5 am, it leaves a bit to be desired hehe. And of course, he always seems to find the feather ball toy with the bell at this ungodly hour!

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

When my tuxedo kitty was a kitten, he loved to play fetch. He has since grown out of it and I do miss it. My silver tabby likes to play catch but won't bring it back to me. She loves to play catch with a wadded up paper ball. She is three now and I am hoping won't get tired of playing catch.