Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bourbon Peach Hand Pies

First, we have the obligatory cat picture for those not interested in baking:


At the market the other day, I saw some huge peaches and just couldn't resist them. Since I don't like raw peaches, I decided to try out Smitten Kitchen's Bourbon Peach Hand Pies recipe. The only change I made to the recipe was to the filling, to which I added half the sugar.

When I was making the dough, it seemed way too dry, so I added some more liquid. This turned out to be a terrible idea since the dough ended up incredibly sticky and impossible to roll. I kept adding more and more flour to my hands, the counter, the rolling pin... and the "lightly floured" surface recommended in the recipe turned into a flour blizzard.

The first batch of dough I rolled out resulted in lumpy, slightly misshapen pies. Despite their appearance, though, they are perfectly flaky and crispy; the prettier pies have a more solid crust.


Despite the problems I had with the dough (and the fact that these take forever to make), I am looking forward to making them again. They're adorable, and very, very tasty. I had planned to share them with my coworkers, but that didn't happen. Oops.

5 comments:

Amy and The House of Cats said...

Wow those look pretty good - and I can sympathize with the crust problems, because I have them (which is why I don't make crust based things very often!)

And that is a great picture of sleepy Melly, with Scarlett napping in the background!

The Kool~Kittie~Krew said...

YUMMY~!!! Peach pie is our mom's FAVE!

Katnip Lounge said...

Peaches...YUM!

I'll bet rolling the dough in the flour blizzard made TONS of flaky layers...I *just* bought some fresh peaches today, I was thinking about a cobbler; now I may have to go for a pie...

kelley said...

I think about making a peach pie...then think about the mess and eat them raw...another great pic of the girls...love how they share the couch...

Fabulous Fabs said...

Is Melly developing a belly? So cute this picture!!!