Monday, August 23, 2010

Getting Closer...

Scarlett was laying at the opposite end of the couch from me, snoozing peacefully, when Melly jumped up between us. She flopped down and stayed there for a while. Scarlett didn't seem to mind much, and sniffed a little bit at Melly's head. (My camera was charging, so I took these with my cell phone.)


Eventually Melly made the mistake of making eye contact with Scarlett, at which point Scarlett growled grumpily and got down off the couch.

>

The next day, Melly hopped up on the bed by Scarlett. She carefully arranged her tail so it lay against Scarlett, but she avoided looking directly at her.


It worked well: they hung out next to each other for about half an hour.

Also, I think we'll call the neighbor kitty Ashley. Partially because of Marlene's comment, and partially because I'm saving the name Rhett. You know, just in case a sleek, all-black boy kitty happens to wander into my life someday...

9 comments:

Cat said...

That is fantastic progress!!! They will be great pals in no time :-)

Kea said...

Aha, this is great progress! Yep, it's always best to avoid eye contact when creeping closer like that. LOL.

Marlene said...

I have a friend who's cat, Gary, has a similar no eye contact rule, but only when a human is holding him. You can pick him up and cuddle him, but don't make any eye contact or he will struggle to get free.

And wow! Melly is going to be such a big girl. She's so floofy!

Ooh and sleek, all-black boy kitty named Rhett. I would totally swoon for that!

The Paw Relations said...

That is great progress!

Katnip Lounge said...

Melly is almost as big as Scarlett! I love that semi-smug look on her face in the last photo...she's pretty pleased about the whole tail contact, I'm sure!

MomKat Trish

The Kool~Kittie~Krew said...

We are so happy to see they're getting closer to one another!

ABBY said...

This is wonderful. I still have to play referee to Abby and Boo...

*sigh*

Like right now...........

purrin

xo
Abby

Ayla and Iza, said...

Well, SOME contact is better than none...

Rene said...

Oh, I love how her tail is the only thing touching Scarlett! I'm not exactly sure from the photos, but is Melly nearly the same size as Scarlett now?