Monday, October 4, 2010

My (not so little) Shoulder Soldier

Greetings all, it's Geoff chiming in today to give Natalie a day off.

You may recall that when she was quite wee, Melly enjoyed perching on my shoulder while I was cooking. This worked rather well when she was small, and even as she was a bit bigger. Now that she's approaching "Cat" size and since my shoulders haven't grown commensurately, it's a bit more of a challenge for her to stay perched as I whirl about the kitchen, going through the various machinations of meal preparation. As such it tends not to last very long and includes many punctures in my shoulder as my shoulder soldier tries to stay in position. Nonetheless, we still try from time to time and the other day, while whipping up some seasoned creme fraiche, she stayed long enough for Natalie to grab her camera and return just as Melly was deciding that the floor looked a lot more stable.





For those of you who tune in hoping for a shot of belly floof, I apologize that my shoulder's getting all the fun today.

14 comments:

Martin Hooper said...

Awww my Sooty would do that too - Although he would sit on my back rather than my shoulders and I'd have to stand at 90 degrees...

The Kool~Kittie~Krew said...

King does that with our dad. He drapes himself across the back of his neck, like a shawl. Whatever it is you're coming, it sounds yummy!

Marlene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marlene said...

Awwwwwm at least she still likes shoulders. Shoulder soldiers are awesome

Anne Boleyn said...

She's no dummy. She was hoping you'd share.

Kea said...

Our mom wants to know what "cooking" and "meal preparation" are. :-P

Mona said...

That is so adorable. Do you have a Melly spoon for her to taste the yummy things you whip up? :)

Simba said...

I don't totally do that, although Mom gets the impression from the way I try to climb up to her shoulder that I still imagine I am as I was when I was a kitten.

Such fun that she does it while you cook.

ABBY said...

Awwwww Miss Melly
YOU are so adorable.

purrin
xoxoxo
Abby

Geoff said...

@Kool, I actually have tried to get her to do the shawl approach, generally when she gets fidgety and punctures my shoulder a bit too much, but she doesn't like it. As for what I was making, I'd cooked some fingerling potatoes and tossed them with some fresh herbs, the creme fraiche was the topping for them.

@Marlene, I agree, it's fun when she does that, regardless of the claws.

@Anne B, alas, she got none though.

@Mona, Nope, the vast majority of the time I refuse to give them any people food. The exception was early on, when I was tasting something and Melly was so small, cute and irresistible. I'm more resistant to her charms now.

Katnip Lounge said...

None of my crew have tried that, thank cod. They just get on the worktop and help themselves...lousy counter bandits!

Fabulous Fabs said...

Have you seen thosse paws? Those fingers?

Rene said...

Melly, you are so grown up and look so huge perched on those shoulders!

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

Looks like the Kitchen Supervisor is getting to big to supervise. You are growing up too fast Miss Melly!