Saturday, October 16, 2010

Napping Kitties

I love when the kitties nap near each other. It seems to be happening slightly more frequently now that the weather is colder, but I think Scarlett is just getting used to Melly. She bathes Melly's head at least every couple of days now, but always with an air of pronounced resignation. I imagine Scarlett thinking, "If you can't clean yourself properly, I'll do it myself. Your disheveled hair brings shame to our species."

When Scarlett and Melly nap near each other, the usual sequence of events is this: Melly watches Scarlett sleep, usually from the other end of the couch. When Scarlett is definitely sound asleep, Melly ever-so-quietly tiptoes over and gently lays down about 18 inches away. If Scarlett doesn't stir, Melly wiggles closer, until she's just touching Scarlett. Scarlett wakes up, looks grumpily at Melly, pauses for a moment (as if considering whether it's worth it to make a fuss), then goes back to sleep.





Happy weekend!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tee hee. This is how things work at my house, too.

Kea said...

Things DON'T work like this in our house. Sometimes we boys will snuggle close together on mom's bed, when she's sleeping, but we're more likely to find our own spot. Annie finds another room altogether. LOL.

We think Melly is just adorable, to creep closer to Scarlett while she's sleeping. She just wants to be best friends. :-) Scarlett seems to be tolerating her well, though. If she didn't like Melly, she'd throw a hissy fit and leave (like Annie does with the boys).

The Paw Relations said...

Just like the sleeping arrangements at our house.

diddleymaz said...

my kitties are exactly the same on our bed!

G said...

Poor Scarlett, Melly plays her like a $3 banjo...

Geoff said...

Wow, weird coincidence, G. I saw your comment as I was jumping online to look up some info for my daughter regarding, get this, my banjo!

Ayla and Iza, said...

That happens here too, lately, but I haven't figured out who is doing the stealthy approach.

The Big Thing

meowmeowmans said...

Our guys do that, too, but not quite that closely...

Cat said...

I heard somewhere that when one cat bathes another it is exhibiting dominant behaviour. So Scarlett may be saying to Melly "I'm still the top cat around here"!

Huffle Mawson said...

They are so cute together! My brother poo-face Salvador never used to sleep near me.

Anonymous said...

It could be dominant behavior, but it is still a sign that Scarlett has accepted Melly as part of her clan (even if Scarlett insists that Melly know her place as the little sister of the clan :) And if it turns into a wrestling match it could be an invitation to play.
My cat sometimes grooms me when I am sick (she once licked my cheek bones when I had a sinus infection). I guess I'm not the boss after all...

Katnip Lounge said...

Sylvester is doing a "Melly" with Salem...he wants to snuggle her SO badly! It's nice to see your two finally bonding.

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Yep, we're seeing a lot of stealth snuggles around here, too, these days! :-) The grooming is, indeed, a good sign!

kelley said...

What a little sneak! Scarlett has probably just been worn out by Melly's adoration...too bad this won't happen at my house...I'm just happy when they are peacefully sleeping in seperate rooms...