Monday, November 22, 2010

Of Mondays and Baking

Aww, does someone have a case of the Mondays?

"Mmf."

As I mentioned Saturday, I did manage to get a bit of baking in this weekend. It's another recipe from my Aunt Nadine (she gave me the coffee cake recipe featured a while back) and one I hadn't tried before. It was for a German-style apple pancake, which smelled amazing with all the apples and cinnamon. I made this over at Geoff's and, since he doesn't have a mixer, had to whisk by hand with my scrawny T-Rex arms, so the pancake didn't puff up as much as it probably should have. Despite that, it was thoroughly delicious, and I'll definitely make it again.


Apple Pancake

Preheat oven to 400F

1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick), divided
4 eggs
1/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 medium baking apples, peeled and thinly sliced (I used three apples since I could decide how big medium should be. I ended up with enough to make an extra-thick apple layer, which was very tasty.)
3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar, divided (I didn't have any pre-mixed, so I just used half sugar and half cinnamon. And then a bunch of extra cinnamon because I like things spicy.)

Divide butter between 2 9" pie plates and put them in the oven to melt the butter. Rotate the pie plates until the butter coats the bottom and sides of the dish.

Beat eggs, vanilla, flour, milk, and salt on medium speed for about 1 minute. (I mixed with a whisk until it was foamy.)

Toss sliced apples with 2 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar

Arrange 1/2 of the apple slices in each pie pan to cover the bottom in a single layer.

Pour 1/2 egg mixture over apple slices in each pan.

Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar over the batter in each pan.

Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Serve right away while still puffy with warm maple syrup. (I tried it with and without syrup and actually liked it better without - with the sugar and the extra apples, it was plenty sweet.)

10 comments:

Kea said...

That looks delicious! I have a similar (or the same) baked apple pancake recipe, but haven't made it in a couple of years. Must get it out!

Geoff said...

It was REALLY delicious! My daughter, Colleen, and I both devoured our portions and went back for more! (I'll not mention Natalie's ravenous assault on her portion.) ;-)

Anonymous said...

YUM!

Princess Jasmine said...

I am asking mummy to make one of those right now. I love it when someone bakes in my house hee he

Katnip Lounge said...

oh, Oh, OH! Must bake.

This looks FABULOUS!

I loved the T-rex arms--LOL!

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

Yum is right!! Love anything with apples. You will definitely get T-Rex arms if you make merangues!

ABBY said...

Nom nom nom that looks delicious.

purrin
xoxox
Abby

Ayla and Iza, said...

We love Melly's "mmf"! We do that often. Especially unner the bed blankies wif TBT. He doesn't know how we breathe unner there all night. We just do... MOL!

Sue said...

"t-rex arms.." I have the craziest - yet very precise - mental image. Excellent.

Marlene said...

oh wow, must make!