Saturday, November 27, 2010

Of Pies and Christmas Cookies

[Picture inadvertently deleted] These may be my best pies ever! I decided not to use my mom's recipe, which works perfectly for her - she makes the flakiest pie crust I've ever had - but which does not work nearly as well for me. So I started completely from scratch using a different recipe, the pâte brisée (butter crust) found here, and I rolled the crust out between two pieces of parchment paper, as suggested here. The bottom crusts of both the apple and pumpkin pies turned out perfectly, and I was even able to get a lovely scalloped edge on the pumpkin pie (I killed it taking the foil off while the pie was baking, which is why there's no photo). The batch of crust I used for the lattice on the apple pie turned out a tad tough because of too much water, but it was still good.

Now that I'm a little more confident, I think I'll try a shortening crust next time and maybe will also try the old vodka trick. If you have any tried-and-true crust recipes you'd like to send my way, feel free to email them to me via the address on the sidebar.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, I am gleefully enjoying the Christmas season, my absolute favorite time of year. I've been humming Christmas songs since, well, last Christmas, and singing them at the top of my lungs since the first snow early this week (Geoff's loving that), and my Christmas shopping is nearly done. Now, it's time to start planning the cookies. I usually make multiple batches of many different varieties to give as presents, most of which are recipes that my mom made every year when I was a kid - it just wouldn't be Christmas without snowballs, cranberry bars, thumbprints, magic bars... Yum.
So, ladies and gentlemen, prepare yourself for some more baking posts! I'm considering some sort of holiday contest or giveaway, perhaps with cookies as the prize. Is that something you'd be interested in?

11 comments:

Sammy and Andy said...

Christmas is our favoritest time of year also.....Mama wants to know if you're going to bake a cherry pie?????? That's her fav!!!!!!! Love to y'all.

Cat said...

Bring it on...I can't wait to see all the wonderful goodies you will be baking!!! Your pie looks beautiful :-)

carmar76 said...

That pie looks lovely! And you don't have to wait for a contest - you can send me cookies any time! lol I'm a horrible baker, but make a mean casserole. : )

Katnip Lounge said...

oh. my. god. Since we cannot marry (for multiple reasons..) I'll eat your baking! YES! I'd be interested in a contest.

My Mom make KILLER crust, and she sticks to the butter crust; it's the best.

Marlene said...

Cookies are always welcome!!!

Anonymous said...

I confess...my "best" crust comes straight out of the grocery store. Yours looks amazing. Cookie recipes...can't get enough of those!

Ayla and Iza, said...

THUD!

I just learned to make cheese sauce...

The Big Thing

kct said...

My mom (and subesequently I) have always used the >old< Betty Crocker pie crust recipe. It's different from the modern in that it call for 1 additional tablespoon of shortening per crust. It makes an amazing difference. Also, cold water, and handle the dough as little as possible. Have fun!

BeadedTail said...

Our mommy hates to cook but loves to bake so we look forward to baking posts! Hopefully it'll be something with whipped cream because we love that!

PeeS: We saw the bath video and it was so cute!

Anonymous said...

My husband always scores a win with Alton Brown's apple pie crust: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/super-apple-pie-recipe/index.html

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

Ouch! I just tried to lick the monitor..your pie looks so good! Yum...I love apple pie.