Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Magic Cookie Bars


Clockwise from top left: thumbprints, magic cookie bars, molasses cookies, cranberry bars, and snowballs.

Since I was baking at Geoff's and needed to calibrate his oven before making anything delicate, I started with a double batch of magic cookie bars. These are incredibly easy cookies to make - my sister has been making them since she was about five. They're also quite a crowd pleaser and are always the first to disappear from cookie plates.

Without further ado, here is the recipe:

Magic Cookie Bars

Ingredients
½ cup butter
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 6oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. In a 13"x9” pan, melt butter in oven, then sprinkle crumbs over butter.* Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs. Top with remaining ingredients; press down. Bake 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Wait until the cookies have fully cooled to cut into bars (you can also freeze them for a few minutes before slicing). Store at room temperature.
*Since the butter can burn if left in the oven too long, you can melt the butter in the microwave instead and just pour it into the pan.

In other news, my little corner grocery had Meyer lemons yesterday! I've never had them before, but since I've heard they're the best for baking, I had to get some. I haven't decided what to do with them yet, but I'm really looking forward to trying them.

5 comments:

Kea said...

Yum! The mom SO wants to eat some cookies now! :-P

Kitty said...

I'm a disaster at baking but I think I'll try this recipe. It looks foolproof enough that even I can't screw it up. Thanks.

ABBY said...

Oh my if only we could reach through the computer and try one.

purrin
xoxox

Anonymous said...

it says 1 1/3 flaked coconut, is that cups?

Natalie said...

Yes, cups - sorry! Fixed it above in the recipe.