Friday, December 17, 2010

Cranberry Bars

The other bar cookies I made last weekend were cranberry bars, my favorite holiday cookies. They're easy to make but the tangy cranberries combined with the lemony, oaty crust are so delicious.
Cranberry Bars

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups rolled or old fashioned oats
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp grated lemon peel (Or a bit more. Hard to go wrong with a little extra lemony goodness.)
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
1 16-oz can whole cranberry sauce
1/4 cup finely chopped or ground walnuts or pecans


Stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, lemon peel, and baking soda. Stir in the margarine and mix thoroughly. Reserve one cup of the flour-oat mixture for the topping. Pat the remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 13"x9" baking pan. Bake in a 350F oven for 15-20 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Spread cranberry sauce on baked crust. Stir nuts into reserved oat mixture and sprinkle over cranberry sauce. Lightly pat oat mixture into sauce. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until top is golden. Cut into bars. (Since I'd cut the magic bars into squares, I cut these into triangles for variety.)

Yum.

7 comments:

Laura47 said...

Ooh, those sound marvelous! I used to do a lot of baking, but haven't in years; you're seriously tempting me, young lady! Plus my husband is from Minnesota so he always approves of bars. :)

Katnip Lounge said...

YUM! The Baby says she'll eat the topping and I can have the berries...

Ayla and Iza, said...

You sure know about baking stuff! Have you ever made banana cake? TBT has a recipe from Gramma (no longer available ta ask) that is between spice cake and pound cake in texture. But it calls for 1/4 cup of soured cream, whipped, and he can't get so little cream to whip up. We'd like ta solve his problem as a Xmas gift to him...

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

Yum is right! These look really good.

BeadedTail said...

Those look very yummy!

Cat said...

The cranberry bars sound fantastic!!!

janna said...

I make a cookie much like these, but with raspberry jam instead of cranberry sauce. But I love cranberries, so I may have to try your version!