Friday, December 17, 2010

Meyer Lemons

For those who wondered about the Meyer lemons and what I made with them, I thought an update was in order.

Meyer lemons are sweeter and less acidic than regular lemons. They also have a thinner skin and seemed to me to be juicier. For more information on Meyer lemons, here’s a link to the Wikipedia article.

I made three things with my Meyer lemons, all from the blog Smitten Kitchen. The first was lemon risotto, the recipe for which can be found here. I love risotto in just about any form, so I had high hopes for this recipe. Fortunately, it turned out to be delicious. Geoff baked a piece of salmon with some herbs and a little lemon juice and the risotto went with it perfectly. Should you try this recipe, make sure to measure the cheese by weight and not by volume as freshly grated parmesan is very fluffy; I measured by volume and ended up having to grate more cheese on top of my risotto after it was done. I should also mention that I am not a very confident cook and that I very rarely venture outside my comfort zone of baking – and even I can handle risotto. It seems a lot fancier than it is, which is great if you are having people over for dinner or something, but it’s more about patience (there’s a lot of stirring) than skill.

The second recipe was lemon cake, which I made in two loaf pans (you can also use one tube pan or bundt pan). As you know by now, I have a total weakness for all things lemon, and this lemon cake with lemon syrup and lemon glaze is the perfect indulgence for that weakness. The only thing I would do differently is to poke deeper holes in the cake before pouring the syrup over it – the few places where I did that accidentally had wonderful puddles of syrupy goodness. I made the glaze fairly thick so that it would cover the top of the loaves and hide all the little punctures.

The third thing I made was a lemon tart. Unfortunately, this one did not go quite as planned, probably because I was in a hurry when I made it and rushed many of the steps. I used SK’s great unshrinkable sweet tart shell, which, annoyingly, did shrink. It had a great flavor, though, and was easy to make in advance, so I’ll definitely use this recipe again. For the filling, I made the whole lemon tart. I didn’t read ahead in the recipe and so didn’t have time to let the melted butter cool off enough – this, combined with the fact that my tart shell was still warm when I poured the filling into it, is probably what caused the resulting soupy tart filling. The filling did eventually set up a bit, though, and it tasted wonderful, so when I next have some time for leisurely baking, I will give this another go.

Because I didn’t know how any of these things would turn out and I had people coming over, I also made SK’s apple cake. I’ve made it before so I figured it would be a good backup. Of course, I accidentally dumped in about four times as much cinnamon as it called for, so it didn’t quite go as planned. Luckily, it tasted good, if a bit spicy.

I still have more cookie posts to put up, which I will continue to intersperse with cat posts, and I have a few more Meyer lemons in my fridge. Sadly, I ran out of sugar last night (that’s 5lbs in less than two weeks – eek), so I’m taking a brief baking hiatus.

8 comments:

Ayla and Iza, said...

Meyers Lemons sound like real Key Limes...

The Big Thing

ABBY said...

YUM!
Everything sounds delicious.

purrin
xoxox

Ayla and Iza, said...

Natalie, the new cat tree has only a 28"W x 20"D "footprint" without the side ramp which seems very unneeded (and annoying to attach anyway). It takes up very little floor space. Try cutting a piece of newspaper that size to see how it fits.

The Big Thing

Katnip Lounge said...

We have a Meyer Lemon tree in our yard! They ARE wonderful.

Marlene said...

Thank you for all the recipes! Sounds delish and I can't wait to try them

Caren Gittleman said...

Meyer Lemons are fabulous!! They always talk about them on the Food Network :)

Sarah in T-town said...

The tart was delicious! It all was delicious! And I didn't think the apple bread had too much cinamon in it!!

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

Oh I am drooling. All sounds yummy! When are you opening a shop online?