Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Snowballs & Thumbprints

I'm combining the last two cookie posts into one since Christmas is rapidly approaching and baking days are running out! Also, I am really excited about tomorrow's post and wanted to be sure to get to it before Christmas (it's a Melly video, and it's been cracking me up ever since I filmed it).

Snowball cookies always make me think of my mom. She has made them every Christmas for as long as I can remember, and they always turn out perfectly tiny, perfectly uniform, and perfectly delicious. Mine end up oddly misshapen and many different sizes, but at least they taste good!

Snowball Cookies
1 cup soft butter
¼ cup confectionary sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 ½ - 2 cups ground nuts (I use walnuts)

Mix everything together. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes (lightly brown on bottom). When cool, roll in confectionary sugar.

Thumbprints
Preheat oven to 325F

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1 cup butter

About half a jar of fruit preserves (I usually use seedless raspberry or strawberry)

Stir together flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Form mixture into a ball and knead until smooth. Shape dough into 1” balls. Place 2” apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Using your thumb, press an indentation in the center of each cookie. Bake for 18 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Immediately spoon about ½ teaspoon fruit preserves into each indentation. Remove cookies from sheet.

7 comments:

Marlene said...

I am going to make those thumbprints cookies tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe!

Caren Gittleman said...

you provided recipes for BOTH of my favorites!!! Thanks so much!
Can't wait to see the video!

Sparkle said...

Those cookie recipes made my human hungry. I am wondering if you have a recipe for tuna cookies.

Cindy said...

They look delicious! Merry Christmas!

ABBY said...

The cookies look delicious!
We look forward to the video.

purrin
xoxoxo

meowmeowmans said...

Those look delicious!

Ayla and Iza, said...

I can guarantee they taste good. I've tasted them!

The Big Thing