Friday, March 25, 2011

Flashback Friday: Scarlett's Prey

My old apartment had a sliding glass door that opened onto a concrete patio, and when I was home, I would leave it open to let in fresh air and so that Scarlett could come and go as she pleased. One sunny summer day, I had the door wide open and was going about my business in the apartment when, while walking through the living room, I nearly stepped on a small green bird that was laying in the middle of the floor.

While I shrieked and ran around trying to figure out what on earth to do with the bird, Scarlett perched on the arm of the sofa looking, well, like the cat who caught the canary. Eventually I used a plastic grocery bag to pick up the bird, at which point I discovered that it was alive! It seemed scared but unhurt, so I relocated it to the yard, where it cowered for a few hours before departing.


This is the only animal (that I know of) that Scarlett has caught. Even as an outdoor cat, she showed minimal interest in hunting, and this little green bird was the only "present" she ever brought me. These days, Scarlett leaves the only available prey - spiders - to Melly, who enthusiastically dismembers and eats them.

12 comments:

Marlene said...

My previous cat, Q, scared the life out of me one time, by running from the front porch, dashing out into the street and bringing back... a leaf. Yes, I was very proud of my indoor only cat who was only allowed onto the porch with supervision.

Princess Jasmine said...

Awwww, perhaps Scarlet wanted the birdie as a pet prrrrrrr

Sammy, Andy and Shelly said...

MEOWZA!!!!!!!!!!

Just before Shelly came into the house on a full time basis, we found a dead bat in her water dish on the balcony.....then the next night when we had the balcony door open, another bat flew into our apartment!!!!!!!! Sisbean more or less panicked but our mama stayed cool and got the broom and chased it back out the door......of course that was the end of our balcony door being open in the evenings...until they put a screen on it!!!!!!!!

Life can be full of lotza excitment!!!!!!!!! :)

xxxxxxxx

diddleymaz said...

You wouldnt last long with my cats :) although now they are middle aged and elderly, when young Commie and his late lamented mentor Llwyd brought in many mice ,dead and alive, bits of mice,rats and birds dead and alive and small shrews with long noses,there was a healthy population of all of these around our rural village,most interesting? a brown grouse!(dead in the kitchen)

Furkidsmom said...

We've had a couple of birdies come in through our fireplace. Mom has spoiled our fun by taking them outside, but two of them got deaded by us.

The Florida Furkids and Angel Sniffie

Katnip Lounge said...

My old barns Cats, Spook and Max, were prolific hunters. Max lined up shrews on the back step daily and Spook specialized in rats! Big ones.

ABBY said...

When Ping used to be allowed outside he once caught a squirrel and brought it to me as a thank you.

*sigh*

Of course he had eaten part of it.

purrin
xoxox

Sparkle said...

How cool! I wish I could catch a birdy one of these days, but it will need to come inside for me to do that.

BeadedTail said...

Scarlett, that was nice of you to take the birdie to your mom but too bad she put it back outside! I take my mousies to my mommy and drop it at her feet and she gives me treats!

Simba said...

I bet Scarlett was very proud of her catch.

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

thank goodness she brought the green birdie to you and didn't eat it!

Sylvestermiasmomma said...

Glad to hear that Miss Melly takes care of the spiders. Ick!!! My tabby kitty is an expert fly catcher. In fact both of my cats are good bug controllers.