Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Granola

I have set a new goal of posting some sort of recipe every week. I'm not much for cooking (that's Geoff's department) so there probably won't be many savory foods, but I will branch out from my frequently lemon-flavored desserts since anyone who actually tries these recipes is probably getting a little bored.

Until recently, I don't think I'd ever so much as flipped through Bon Appétit magazine, but a couple of weeks ago I read the June 2010 issue cover to cover. I'm not sure what I expected, maybe something annoyingly snobby, but I was pleasantly surprised: the magazine had some great recipes!

The first one I tried was a recipe for homemade granola, from an article by Orangette blogger Molly Wizenberg called "Breakfast Outside the Box." Making one's own granola seems like it belongs in the category of Pacific Northwest stereotypes along with things like listening to grunge music, wearing wool socks with Birkenstocks, and drinking copious amounts of Starbucks coffee, but I do love granola, and the prospect of one that was not only less fattening than the store-bought variety but probably more delicious was just too good to pass up.


So, without further ado, here is the recipe:

Everyday Granola
Molly Wizenberg, Bon Appétit magazine, June 2010

Ingredients
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup assorted dried fruit

Directions
Preheat oven to 300F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Mix first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Stir honey and oil in saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth. Pour honey mixture over oat mixture; toss. Spread on prepared sheet. Bake until golden, stirring every 10 minutes, about 40 minutes. Place sheet on cooling rack. Stir granola; cool. Mix in fruit. Granola can be made a week ahead and stored in an airtight container.

Notes
I have made two batches of this granola, and made a few tweaks to it both times - this is definitely a modification-friendly recipe. When making my first batch, I ran out of pecans after about half a cup, so I added a bunch of ground walnuts. I didn't like the texture of the ground walnuts but the mix was tasty, so I used roughly chopped walnuts and pecans in my second batch. For both batches, I added extra cinnamon and used about half a cup of dried cranberries instead of the full cup of assorted dried fruit. The unsweetened coconut I used in the first batch was very finely chopped, and although the taste of the coconut was great, the tiny pieces separated from the rest of the granola mix when milk was added. For the second batch (pictured above), I used flaked coconut instead.

10 comments:

Amy and The House of Cats said...

Well, it sounds tasty (though I am sure the coconut would not even come near my variation). I may need to try that. And hey, don't knock the grunge music - I still listen to it sometimes (of course I am in Chicago so maybe that is why I still do - because we weren't as bombarded by it as you guys were)!

BeadedTail said...

Hee hee on the Pacific Northwest stereotypes and granola! We have a lot of granola lovers around here for sure including me although I don't own any Birkenstocks and I hate coffee and I'm not sure I even know what grunge music is! The recipe sounds really good though and I'll have to give it a try!

Geoff said...

As someone who's only mildly biased, Natalie's granola is DELICIOUS. Plus, it smells great while she's making it.

ABBY said...

YUM that sound deeelicious!

Sparkle said...

My human says that sounds good! I say where is the chicken?

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Oh, yummm... and I have everything! Tonight, tonight...

The Island Cats said...

Our mom makes homemade granola too...she makes it with maple syrup. But she says she's gonna try this recipe! Maybe she'll mix some nip in it for us!!

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOO!!

Rene said...

Homemade granola is so yummy. We've made it in the crockpot.

Sue said...

Yep, I'll be making some of this. Thank you for posting!