Thursday, March 10, 2011

Raspberry Smash

This week's recipe is also from the July issue of Bon Appétit magazine and is a drink called the Raspberry Smash. It's a very light and refreshing drink, and was a welcome taste of summer in the middle of winter. I made the drink twice, the first time following the recipe pretty closely, and the second time making several modifications. I liked my version much better, but have printed both below.

Raspberry Smash
Bon Appétit magazine, June 2010

Ingredients
2 lime wedges
Granulated sugar (for sugaring the rim of the glasses)
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
6 tablespoons vodka (that's 3 ounces, or 2 shots)
4 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 cups ice cubes (I think I used 6 large cubes)
1/4 cup chilled Champagne (I used an inexpensive bottle of cava)

Directions
Run 1 lime wedge around the rims of two old-fashioned glasses. Dip rims in sugar. Place both lime wedges, raspberries, vodka, and 4 teaspoons of sugar in a cocktail shaker. Using a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon, smash the fruit mixture. Add ice and shake for 10 seconds. Divide mixture between the two glasses (don't strain), top with Champagne, and serve.


Raspberry Smash, modified version
Inspired by the recipe in Bon Appétit magazine, June 2010

Ingredients
2 lime wedges
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
3 ounces vodka
1/2 cup sparkling wine
ice

Directions
Place the lime wedges, raspberries, and vodka in a cocktail shaker. Using a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon, smash the fruit mixture. Add several ice cubes and shake for 10 seconds. Add a couple of ice cubes to two old-fashioned glasses. Divide the mixture in the shaker between the two glasses, pouring through a strainer to filter out the raspberry seeds. Top each glass with sparkling wine and serve.

6 comments:

BeadedTail said...

That sounds very refreshing! Perfect for celebrating the end of tax season - if it ever gets here!

G said...

Here's my version:

Ingredients
2 lime wedges (Save for fish tacos)
1/2 cup fresh raspberries (Reserve for cereal)
1/2 cup sparkling wine(Give to gf in nice flute)
3 ounces vodka
ice (Mix above two ingredients and drink)

Rinse and repeat.

Yes, I am having one of those days.

Ducky said...

Thanks! Sounds great.

Natalie said...

G: I like your version - I have those days sometimes myself :)

HubbleSpacePaws said...

ROFL!! Was just going to say I needed to make it when I read G's version. I must do that!

Kjelle Bus said...

My mom thinks it sounds great !