Monday, April 18, 2011

Home at Last

Boy, does it ever feel good to be home. As I'm typing this, Scarlett is asleep on the couch next to me, purring loudly. Melly has conquered my suitcase, which has not been unpacked and is laying in a corner, by first covering it in white hairs and then curling up in a ball on a corner of it.

Here's a rundown of what I've been up to over the past couple of weeks (from a slightly cat-centric perspective in deference to my audience):

First, a conference I'd been working on coordinating for months finally took place. I was a heavily caffeinated bundle of nerves for the week or so leading up to it, but fortunately, everything fell into place the day of the event and it went fairly smoothly.

The day after the event, Geoff and I left for San Diego. It was beautiful.


I always miss my cats when I travel, but I did get to see some other animals on the trip. For example, this is Scott Baio, the pet of Geoff's brother and his girlfriend.


We spent an afternoon at the San Diego animal park, which was amazing. This baby elephant was one of the highlights.


As we were leaving the park, we happened to walk by a presentation on cheetahs, and had the opportunity to see one up close. She was purring!


After the San Diego trip, we had one day at home before heading out again, this time back East for a week to visit my parents. There was a warm spell when we first arrived, so the flowers in my mother's gardens started to bloom.


As you may remember, my parents' cat, Star, passed away in February (his brother Comet died last summer), and this is the first time I'd been back since he died. It was strange being there and not seeing the food bowls on the kitchen floor or the towels on the couches for Star to sleep on, or hearing Star's insistent meow. I really missed the little guy.

On the last day we were there, Geoff and I spent the afternoon playing tourist and happened into a little boutique. While I was checking out the jewelry, I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye and turned around to see a fluffy cat heading toward me. I squatted down and extended a hand for her to sniff, but she bypassed it and settled herself in my lap, purring happily.


When we got back to my apartment after a very long trip home (and one that involved a sprint through the Chicago airport), the cats were mostly unfazed by our appearance and proceeded to ignore us while sniffing every inch of every piece of luggage. When I climbed into bed, though, they were on me in minutes, one on each side, purring like crazy. It was an excellent, if delayed, welcome.

10 comments:

Kea said...

Welcome back! We're glad you had a good, albeit busy, trip and that you got to do fun stuff as well as work!

-Fuzzy Tales

The Paw Relations said...

Welcome back! We're glad that you had such a great time

ABBY said...

We are so glad you're back!

We are sorry that we have not commented but we have been without our internet connection straight now for several days before that it was intermittent.WE purrary it has been resolved!! PLEEESSSEEE!!

xoxox
purrin
Abby

Marlene said...

Welcome back! I'm happy Scarlett and Melly gave you a proper welcome even if it was belated :)

Deven said...

I'm sure the babies are ecstatic to have you both home. As you know, cats want everybody to be where they're supposed to be...no exceptions. So snuggle, cuddle, purr, and stay where you're put!

Cat said...

Welcome home! Great pics, I love cheetahs :-)

BeadedTail said...

Welcome home! Sounds like you had a busy yet fun trip especially at the zoo!

Katnip Lounge said...

The San Diego zoo is wonderful, isn't it? I bet your little house cheetahs were delighted to see you again.

catonsvillecats said...

I understand that cheetahs are the only big cats who purr. (credit Animal Planet)

The Island Cats said...

It looks like you had a nice time...but it's always good to be home!