Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Best Frosting

When I make cupcakes, decorating them is usually one of my favorite parts. When I made these cupcakes, however, I had already spent several hours in the kitchen making soup and I had run out of patience. I even considered - gasp! - not frosting them. Of course, that didn't last (silly me) and I did make frosting.


And oh, what frosting it was. Light and frothy! Chocolaty! Orangey! The cupcakes I made were plain vanilla, but this frosting would be great with chocolate cupcakes, or even orange cupcakes. A half batch was plenty for the twelve cupcakes I made.

Orange Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
From Epicurious

8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
7 tablespoons (or more) water

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar, divided
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur

Stir 8 ounces chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water until smooth. Cool until barely lukewarm but still pourable. Mix cocoa powder and 7 tablespoons water in heavy small saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until smooth and thick but still pourable, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if necessary. Cool.

Beat butter, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, and orange peel in large bowl to blend. Add melted chocolate, vanilla, and salt; beat until smooth. Beat in cocoa mixture. Gradually add remaining 3 2/3 cups powdered sugar and beat until frosting is smooth. Mix in Grand Marnier.

3 comments:

Kjelle Bus said...

Sounds jummy even for a cat :)

Katnip Lounge said...

DYING! OMG the frosting sounds fabulous.

Simba said...

Mom copied and filed your recipe for the next time she needs a frosting recipe. Thanks!