Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rhubarb

About a month ago, I walked into the produce section at my little neighborhood grocery store and came upon the first rhubarb of the season. I was so excited that I had to get some despite its dubious quality. I made coffee cake with some of it, but it did not turn out nearly as well as the last time I made it. I was a little discouraged and decided to try something that seemed relatively foolproof with the remaining rhubarb. So, I decided to go for another Smitten Kitchen recipe.

It was such a success that I neglected to take a photo of it until I was eating my second piece.


Strawberry Rhubarb Pecan Loaf
From Smitten Kitchen

Makes one loaf

3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon rum
1 cup flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup diced rhubarb
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Topping (Optional)
1 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 to 3 1/2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Beat together the brown sugar, vegetable oil, egg, vanilla and rum. Combine the flours, salt and baking soda; stir. Add dry ingredients to first mixture with the sour cream. Stir in strawberries, rhubarb and pecans.

Spread into a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan — the batter will be very thick. Combine topping ingredients except the pecans, they should be thick and clumpy; add the pecans last and sprinkle over the loaf.

Bake at 350° for about 55 to 65 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Notes: I used dark brown sugar, and a bunch of extra rhubarb and strawberries. I also increased the amount of cinnamon and pecans.

8 comments:

Cat said...

WOW!!! It looks amazing :-)

Rene said...

Thanks for the recipe. Our rhubarb is growing like crazy and we're always looking for new recipes.

Mari said...

Just what Rene said - and strawberries are just coming into season here in northern Scandinavia so locally grown ones are about reasonably priced. Now, put pecans on shopping list (may have to substitute with walnuts, we'll see)...

This far everything I've made with your recipes has been very well, even with my slightly rough-and-ready metric conversions!

BeadedTail said...

That looks so good! We'll have to try it for sure!

ABBY said...

YUM!
That looks and sound delicious!

The Island Cats said...

We don't like rhubarb, but our mom says that recipe looks really good!!

Cynthia M. Suprenant said...

Ah, this is so timely for me. I just washed and pared three quarts of strawberries from the weekend's farmer's market, our backyard rhubarb is abundant, and I have guests coming. Thanks!

diddleymaz said...

Rhubarb should be under crumble and with lots of custard!