Friday, July 29, 2011

An Eventful Evening

Last night, I noticed that there was something in Melly's fur under her tail. She wouldn't let me get close enough to examine it, but it looked like a mat. Since Melly is my first cat with longish hair, mats are a new thing for me; I posted about it on Facebook and asked for advice on removing it. Diane was kind enough to answer, and I resolved to ambush Melly and get rid of the mat at the earliest opportunity.

After a couple of attempts, it became clear that Melly wasn't going to let me get close enough to get rid of the mat myself. So, when my sister happened to call me on her way home, I sweet-talked her into promising to help. When she arrived later, sister grabbed Melly and yelled over to me, "This isn't a mat, it's POO!"

Gross.

Well, a promise is a promise, so I ushered sister, who was holding Melly, into the bathroom and filled the tub up with a few inches of water. After about five minutes of vigorously swooshing Melly's bottom around in the water, all the poo finally came loose. It was thoroughly disgusting. After changing out the water, we bathed the rest of Melly.

I always feel bad for causing the kitties discomfort, but there is something pathetically hilarious about a sopping wet cat.


Melly behaved surprisingly well throughout her ordeal, but she could not wait to get out of the tub and shake off.


When I went back into the bathroom after grabbing the camera, Scarlett came in too. She was very interested in the soggy Melly, and gave her a thorough nose-to-tail sniffing. It was funny to see how small Melly was with all her fur slicked down, and I think Scarlett enjoyed being the bigger-looking cat for a time.


Melly spent the rest of the evening alternately seeking attention and restoring order to her mussed fur. Despite the trauma of bath time, I think Melly is glad to have the poo gone!


ETA: Thanks, Marlene, for reminding me that it was Diane who responded to my Facebook plea for advice. I fixed it in the text above. Sorry, Diane! Don't know what I was thinking.

16 comments:

Simba said...

Sweet Melly. At lest she didn't shred you!

I think the tail is amusing: when the fur is wet it looks so skinny!

Fuzzy Tales said...

Aww, Melly, we're sorry you got dunked! We sometimes get poopy butts, but Nicki uses the living room area rug for toilet paper (can you hear the mom sigh?), and Derry, well, he just gets collared and gets wiped with a Kleenex. Chumley used to get bits of poop stuck to his fur, because he had such long hair, and the mom would have his back end (and tummy) shaved a few times a year.

Kitty said...

Ah, the joys of longhair cats and dangling nasty bits. Linus has these from time to time, but I usually just prop him up on the vanity and clean him up with a washcloth and lots of soap. If I tried to get him in a bathtub it wouldn't end well for either of us.

threecatyard said...

My aging longhair cat who sometimes needs a bath is quite a good sport. He hates the scrubbing, but will sit right under the bathtub spout while it's running for a rinse without being held.

Oldcat

MrsB said...

We solved this problem by taking my floofy Mr. Kitty to the vet and he shaved his nether regions in about 20 seconds - you do this 4 times a year and problem solved - stinky bum gone - priceless.

Marlene said...

Awww, poor Melly! Yes, there is something pathetically cute about a soaking wet cat and that back foot shake. I gave Q a couple of baths in that time and it was always pretty darn cute.

Oh, it was Diane and not me who answered your question on Facebook! Just giving credit where it's due :D

Anonymous said...

It was my pleasure to share my hard-won knowledge about kitty mats. :)

Diane M.

Tanya Sloan said...

Oh Melly I'm so sorry but I was cracking up during the video. I'm so glad the dingle berry removal did not necessitate stitches afterwards. I cannot imagine the destruction if I had to give a bath to one of my champions.

BeadedTail said...

Melly, even soaking wet you are as cute as can be! We're sorry you got a bath though. The only one around here who's had a poopy butt is our sisfur Sadie and she gets a bath when it happens too!

Katnip Lounge said...

Melly, That happens to me, too.

*sigh*

xx Johnson, aka Mister Poopy Pants

and our word is "cleand"!! How apropos.

Princess Jasmine said...

Awww Melly, you do look like a very soggy moggy. At least you smell lovely now after your bath :)xx

ABBY said...

Melly
I have had it happen to me too. Alot of times and Mom wipes me down and I don't like it.
I have had poo explosions and it's funny because Mom was looking for a certain picture and she came across the picture she took of the day I got it all over my bottom. I mean ALL over my bottom, notice I said she got the camera.
*sigh*
But I haven't had that problem in a long time.
purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

I can tell EXACTLY what is going through Scarlett's mind: "I am SO glad that is not me!!" I don't know if Melly will let you back there, but if you trim her floof a bit back there, she is less likely to get poo clumps in the future, since there will be less fur for it to cling to.

The Island Cats said...

Aw, poor Melly! Well, at least you don't have poo stuck to you anymore.

Rene said...

Oh, the indignity of being photographed AND videotaped while bathing!

Cat said...

Oh well, that happens with long haired cats sometimes :-)