Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Layer Cake




Two years ago, I made a lemon layer cake for Geoff's daughter's birthday. I discovered lemon curd because of that cake - hurrah! - but the cake itself was a disaster. It didn't rise, the frosting refused to solidify... it was all rather traumatic. And yet, in a momentary lapse of sanity, I volunteered to make Colleen's birthday cake again this year.

Fortunately, I had my sister to help, and the ever-fantastic Smitten Kitchen blog. There, I found a recipe for double chocolate layer cake, as well as a list of tips for making a successful layer cake.



We followed Deb's recipe almost exactly, and used most of her layer cake tips. The resulting cake turned out perfectly! (Sister and I danced victoriously. And fist-bumped. Ok, the dancing was just me.) I won't re-print the recipe here since I barely modified it, but if you ever have need of a chocolate cake recipe, I highly recommend Smitten Kitchen's Double Chocolate Layer Cake!

10 comments:

Geoff said...

It truly was a wonderful cake. Even I, who doesn't much care for cake, had a second piece. Plus, it looked SO BEAUTIFUL!

~*Connie*~ said...

Great job on the cake! I remember my first foray into layered cake, it was enough to make me pull out my hair. Smitten has some great recipes.

I hope Colleen had a wonderful birthday!

Annie said...

Oooh thanks for this post! I recently got a new computer and due to technical difficulties, I was unable to get most of my favorite sites on to my new comp, which means Smitten Kitchen, one of my favorite sites, was lost and forgotten until this post. (Thankfully, however, Adventures of Scarlett and Melly made it over - yay!)

That chocolate cake is IMPRESSIVE. I'm sure it tastes just as divine as it looks too. :):):)

Rene said...

Wow, it looks perfect, and the tall candles you chose are fab!

OKcats said...

WOW - you MADE that??? It looks beautiful! It looks like it was made by a professional! If it tasted as good as it looked, then Colleen is a lucky girl!

BeadedTail said...

That cake looks like it was made by purrfessionals! Great job! Happy Birthday to Colleen!

Marlene said...

Yummy!

Simba said...

Awesome looking cake, love the tall candles! Thanks for reminding (Mom) about Smitten Kitchen's blog. She needs to get back to looking at it regularly.

ABBY said...

oooooooOOOOOooooooo extra yummy!
purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥

The Island Cats said...

Mmmmm....our mom loves chocolate cake!!