Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ask Scarlett and Melly: Sniffing and Sneaking

Melly is usually either dozing or asleep when she is on her back, but this time, I think she was just enjoying seeing the world from a different angle.




I received a few more questions, so here are the answers:

The Lounge Kats asked: Is your Mom a kitty-sniffer? Ours smells us all the time, 'specially when she's eating our ears...*sigh*
I have a wonky sense of smell and can't detect most aromas unless they're very strong. This means that I can smell, say, Melly's litter box deposits (blech), but I can't smell Melly herself even with my nose buried in her belly floof. So, to answer your question: no, I am not a kitty-sniffer, but not by choice.

Mark's Mews asked: Who weighs more?
Melly currently weighs about a pound more than Scarlett. They're both overweight, but even if I get them both down to healthier weights, Melly will still weigh more than Scarlett.

Who can jump higher?
Scarlett is all about economy of movement and takes longer routes if it means she can avoid long leaps. I know that she can jump very high since she once got onto the shelf in the walk-in closet (about six feet off the ground), but since that is not an ability she demonstrates on a regular basis, I have to say that Melly is the higher jumper. She regularly leaps several feet into the air in pursuit of da bird, and she, unlike Scarlett, will jump straight up to things instead of trying to find an easier route.

Who is sneakiest?
I went back and forth on this one and finally ended up asking Geoff, who said that it's definitely Scarlett. When I asked why, he said that Scarlett is always skulking about, while Melly gallops around crazily. He also said that when Scarlett is in pursuit of prey, like the laser pointer, she stalks it for a while before making a move whereas Melly just attacks willy-nilly.

10 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

Aw, Melly, you are such a ham. :-)

The answers to the questions were great! BTW, our mom can't smell, either, not even our litter box deposits. LOL. Sometimes that lack of sense comes in handy...sometimes not, though.

euthymic said...

Melly looks good sleeping on her back. Mocha sleeps on her back too, sometimes. Jumping is a very cool skill, as is being sneaky:)

Mocha Barney, Ashley Pumpernickel and Winniechurchill

Rene said...

Melly is such a ham, it cracks me up! I would have guessed that Scarlett is sneakier!

BeadedTail said...

Melly, you just bring fun to everything!

Around here, Angel is the better jumper. She can jump really high with ease like she's floating on a feather. Isabella didn't get the jumping gene so it's an ordeal for her to jump and it's not graceful at all!

Katnip Lounge said...

Oh shucks! We were looking forward to finding out if Melly smells like oreos and Scarlett like turtle sundae! Of course their poopies smell like roses...

Simba said...

It does seem as if Melly just is how she is, whereas Scarlett might be more subtle and secretive.

In my experience, clean kitties don't smell.

ABBY said...

Aw Melly you are such a charmer!!
purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

bentley1530 said...

I usually save my love for my girl Scarlett but Melly is winning me over by her quirky poses in these pictures. Good job Melly.

meowmeowmans said...

Oh Melly, you are so adorable. We bet that's a very interesting view you;'re getting. :)

I laughed out loud at Geoff's answer about who is sneakier ... skulking about ... MOL!

Marlene said...

My previous cat, Q, used to lie on his back and observe the world all the time. I miss that about him :D