Monday, January 30, 2012

Baby Otter, and a Sewing Project

One of the otters at the Seattle aquarium recently had a baby, and on Saturday, I went to visit the cuteness.


The baby, which was recently discovered to be a girl, doesn't yet know how to swim. Which is ok, since she is too buoyant to sink, and also her mom makes a great raft.









Also this weekend, Geoff's daughter and I commenced a sewing project we'd been planning, which is to make beds for the kitties at the Humane Society. It was Geoff's daughter's first experience with a sewing machine, and sewing a lot of straight lines on a forgiving fabric like fleece made this a great beginner's project.





Geoff's daughter, sewing away like a pro.



Two of the finished beds. They're purple fleece on one side and patterned fleece on the other, with two layers of batting in the middle.


13 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

Oh, the beds are great! Nice to see someone else doing something similar to the mom's knitted ones. Our grandma has volunteered to sew fleece "beds" for our project, so we think that's cool.

Well done to you both!

Rene said...

Wow, wonderful beds! You guys did a great job. I love the heart, that's a sweet addition.

~*Connie*~ said...

I just love the heart on the bed.. so sweet, and what a great project and learning opportunity (on several different levels)

Cat said...

Oh my gosh that otter is adorable!!! Well done in the beds, they look fantastic :-)

Katnip Lounge said...

OK, I want an otter!

Those beds are great--I have wonderful memories of learning to sew with my Mom; I bet Geoff's daughter will of this project, too.

Nermals Mom said...

I would totally buy the purple one from you -- I have no sewing skills

BeadedTail said...

The baby otter is adorable! The cat beds turned out pawesome! Great job!

meowmeowmans said...

Those cat beds are awesome! Great job. :)

And those otters are, in a word, adorable!!!

Kjelle Bus said...

The baby Otter was really cute !
Me and mom LOVE the beds you have been making for the Humane Society.
The heart in the middle is really cute !

Becky~ said...

Lovely.The heart is so sweet.

ABBY said...

Such a cute baby otter, aren't all babies adorable?

What a sweet project, we know the kitties will love them.

purrs
Abby

Sparkle said...

Those bed are awesome for a first project! My human and sewing machines are not friends... she never could sew a straight line to save her life.

Moni said...

I shared your blog entry to our Cute Beds for Shelter Cats Group on facebook.

Those beds are fabulous!