Thursday, April 12, 2012

In which Melly scares me half to death

As you know, Melly likes to chew things.  And when I say "things," I mean all of them.  She is like a teething puppy.  



Anyway, Melly is particularly fond of chewing on the buttons on my pajama tops.  Most of the buttons are over sized and sturdy, so I don't usually worry about it.  However, late Tuesday night, Melly was going to town on a smaller, thinner button when I heard a crunch.  It was the button--or rather, three-quarters of it. (Thankfully, not the part with the thread attached.)  I immediately tried to wrestle it away from Melly, but she swallowed it before I could.  

I am a glass-half-empty sort of person, so every worst-case scenario immediately flew through my head.  (Also, it was past midnight, and I wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders.)  I stayed awake with Melly for a couple of hours, but she seemed fine, and after a while, refused to let me hold her anymore.  

Wednesday morning, I found a hairball of Melly's, but--frustratingly--no button in the puke.  Melly was her usual self, although in my panic, I thought she seemed a little subdued.  But she ate with gusto and didn't complain when I palpated her belly.  I debated staying home from work to watch her, but had to go in to the office.

I was a bit of a wreck at work, and finally, around 1:30, I couldn't take it anymore and had to go home and check on Melly.  A coworker and friend came with me, and on the way home, I called Melly's vet and left a panicky, shaky-voiced message describing the situation.  I was convinced I'd find the worst when I got home, but when I opened the apartment door, Melly was there to greet me, tail straight up in the air as usual. I scoured the place for vomit, but there was none.  I fed Melly some treats, which she gleefully ate.  The vet called back and said that a button that size shouldn't cause much trouble, and just to keep an eye out for it in the litter box.  I went back to work feeling much lighter indeed.

As I type this on Wednesday evening, Melly is being her usual ridiculous self, but I can't stop watching her (and giving her lots of extra snuggles!) in case that pesky button decides to cause trouble.  Please keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't!

15 comments:

Marlene said...

Fingers crossed that the button passes through easily!

Rene said...

Oh Melly girl, why are you eating buttons? I can understand your worry, but I am sure 1/4 of a button is not going to harm her. I totally know the stress of rushing home to check on the cats though, and scouring around for puke, poop, or other oddities t hough!

Cat said...

I'm with you Natalie, I would have totally freaked if one of my boys ate a button!!! I bet the vet is right and it will just pass through without any trouble.

Melly DON'T do that again!!!!

Ted said...

Phew! Glad half of the Scarlett-Melly gang is okay. How big was the button? I mean, how wide was it? Just a tiny one, like on a dress shirt?

Kjelle Bus said...

Keep my paws crossed for that button just will pass through with out any problem !
Please don´t eat any moore buttons Melly !

Fuzzy Tales said...

Okay, I'd have totally freaked out too and would have spent the night in a state of panic. So I'm crossing my fingers the button comes out the other end with no problems.

Melly, oh, please don't scare your mom like that again!

Nerissa said...

Oh Melly... buttons are not for eating! But I'm sure everything will be all right. But boy... do you ever have a loving mom! Coming home early from work like that to check on you. I think you're in very, VERY good hands.

Repositório said...

Melly!
Keep safety!!!!

Stacy Hurt said...

OH Natalie, Natalie, Natalie! Boy has she got you wired! MOL. Ms. Stella here, don't be too alarmed by these things. It's when we try to eat things like needles or pins or long strings that can be a problem! I'm sure Mel enjoyed the extra attentions!

xoxo
Ms. Stella O'Houligan

Sparkle said...

Paws crossed that everything passes through without trouble, Melly, but I can't resist adding that somehow, the thought of your human digging through your litter box for that button is strangely gratifying!

Princess Jasmine said...

Awwww Natalie we do feel for you. I know mummy would have been just the same with me. I'm always chewing things, but mainly packs and packets of nommy stuffs. A kitty who lived her a bazillion years ago once ran off with mummy's watch and to this day she has never ever found it!!! We are so glad Melly hasn't had any side effects :)xx

ABBY said...

Oh dear Natalie, I understand the feeling of helplessness. I hope Melly passes that button quickly so you know that it's out of her system. Will keep you both in our purrs and it's a great sign she is acting so normally.
xoxoxox

~*Connie*~ said...

and this is why I will always keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and a syringe in my house. It isn't fun to force a cat to vomit, but it is fairly easy.

Here's hoping it all 'comes out' OK.

Ted said...

wow Connie, can you share the whole howto?

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

TBT says we should be "clever" and say "This too shall pass", but we have no idea what that means, so we wont. We just hope the button bit shows up safely.

Its funny enough to think of a Bein having the check our litter-leavings fer a button bit. MOL!