Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mellybelly and More Paw Prints

"Zzzzzzzzz."

"Ok, fine, you can have a glimpse of my cute belly."

"But just one glimpse. Now I'm going back to sleep."

Now, more on the paw prints...

First thing: Melly's toes really are all spread out like that. You know those giant marshmallows you can get for making s'mores? (Just me?  This is what they look like. Yum.)  Well, Melly kind of looks like she's walking around on four of those.  Her paws have been oddly large and round since she was a tiny kitten, but it just adds to her cuteness.

I used a regular nontoxic ink pad to make Scarlett and Melly's prints.  I held each cat up and held back one of their front paws so that they supported their weight on the paw that I placed on the ink pad.  Then, I moved the paw over to an index card and repeated the same hold.  (If you just press their paw onto the paper, it winds up looking a little unnatural.)  Then, I washed the paw thoroughly to get the ink off, since obviously they shouldn't ingest it, even if it's nontoxic.

Rene commented that she had rubber stamps made of her cats' paw prints, which I thought was an awesome idea, so I asked her for more info.  Here's what she said:


I got ours made at Office Max (but I'd guess that Office Depot could do it too). Print out copies of the images at the actual size and tell them you'd like a custom stamp made. Make sure to tell them to use the artwork at 100%--or they might change the size. 


 I had mine made unmounted (meaning, I got just the piece of rubber with no handle) so I could mount it as I chose and that cost about $7 per stamp. You can ask for prices before you decide, of course. 


 The order takes 1-2 weeks to complete and they turn out great! 


 I might suggest that, if you have the ability, to remove some of the toe fur from your images. While I think that is cool, it might not reproduce very well as a stamp, especially if they are using a polymer stamp. It might get muddy looking. We certainly want to see the girls' dainty paw pads!


I took Rene's advice and did a quick touch-up on the prints.  I'll clean them up more before bringing them in to have stamps made, but I think they're headed in the right direction. (Original prints are on the left; retouched ones are on the right.)

Melly:

Scarlett:
   

10 comments:

Nerissa said...

My gosh... those stamps are gonna be so cute! Just think, this allows us cats can 'sign' important documents and whatnot. Oh, the POWER!

Rene said...

Oh the retouched ones are just perfect for stamps now! You are gonna love having stamps made of them.

Marlene said...

I have done stamps with Q, and once with 9 andChani... Always pressed down because I wanted a darker print. Oh, and I also made imprints on clay because 9 walked all over a slab that I had drying. I might have to do the clay one again :)

meowmeowmans said...

That is SO cool. We are defintely going to have to do this! :)

~*Connie*~ said...

Thank you for the Mellybelly, I needed that. :)

and you did a great job cleaning up the prints!! I love the before, but the after is really cool!

Cause really what I need is seven more stamps.. and how could I pick just one?

Repositório said...

Great post!!!!

Sparkle said...

My human had no idea the stamps could be done at Office Max! She paid way more to have somebody else do mine. BTW, no paw prints of Boodie's exist, but I bet they would look a lot like Melly's.

BeadedTail said...

We love how those turned out! We were all for having ours done until you mentioned washing our paws. Now we'll have to rethink it.

ABBY said...

Wow we loved this!
Thanks for sharing we will definitely look into it.
purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Uh-Oh, now youve done it. TBT wants ta ink OUR paws too. Not fer stamps, but as somethin ta hang on the wall! Or mebbe prop up on the bookshelf behind our whisker jar.