Monday, May 14, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, Take 2

A couple of years ago, I made my first strawberry rhubarb pie. It didn't turn out particularly well (you can see it here), but it tasted good enough that I thought it would be worth another try.  It's taken me a while to work up the resolve to attempt another pie, but the grocery store had local rhubarb on sale a couple days ago, so I picked up a couple of pounds and resolved to conquer my pie crust nemesis once and for all.

This is the result:


A little lumpy, but not bad!

The crust recipe came from Willow Bird Baking, and I picked it for a couple of reasons: it uses a combination of butter and shortening, and the instructions are fool proof.  The mission of the Willow Bird Baking blog is to inspire confidence in the kitchen and to make complicated baking approachable, so I thought this recipe particularly appropriate for my pursuit of victory over pie crust.  I am pleased overall with how it turned out so I'll definitely be using this recipe again. (I made a couple of mistakes, but I know what not to do next time.)

The filling of the pie is amazing.  The recipe comes from Smitten Kitchen and is the result of a recipe overhaul in an effort to make a filling that doesn't fall apart into a puddle.  The filling does indeed hold together (the trick: tapioca), and it's perfectly, deliciously tart.  Apple pie is still my favorite, but this has taken the place of pumpkin as number two.

9 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

OMC, I'm starving, looking at this! I wish you could send me a piece via transporter or some such. LOL.

-Kim

Nerissa said...

The peep says she bets it's delicious! purrs

Katnip Lounge said...

I adore rhubarb! My Mom has a great rhubarb custard pie recipie; would you like it?

Rene said...

Tapioca is amazing in pies---my grandma taught me that trick years ago for apple pies. I wish you lived closer. I'd give you some rhubarb.

~*Connie*~ said...

aah.. pie.. I never did like making them.. I guess cause I never did like eating them, cause I didn't like crust as a kid. Now that I'm older I've come to appreciate pie, and think yours looks fab!! lumps are yummy.

and Rene, feel free to put some of that rhubarb in a flat rate box and send it out, it would get here in two days :)

Sparkle said...

You just made my human hungry!

Marlene said...

yum!

BeadedTail said...

That looks really good! I love rhubarb but my hubby can't stand it so if I made a pie I'd have to eat the whole thing by myself. Hmmm. That wouldn't be so bad! :)

ABBY said...

That looks really delicious and from your review I think you got raves!!!

purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥