The furniture arrangement in the living room was starting to feel claustrophobic, so I decided to rearrange. This involved tearing the whole living room and much of the bedroom apart and moving lots of heavy furniture around the apartment--unnecessarily, as it turned out, since I ended up putting a lot of the pieces back in their original positions.* Geoff, who assisted in the moving, was thrilled by this.
The cats weren't as freaked out as I expected by the moving, and Melly enjoyed having a perch in the middle of the room:
*In my defense, it should be noted that I created a scale drawing of the apartment and played with many different furniture layouts before actually starting to move anything. It's just that it's really hard to tell how things will look when you're playing with silhouettes on a blueprint!