Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Scarlett gives us a scare

As some of you saw on Melly's facebook page, Scarlett caught her tail on fire Monday night.  She's completely fine, but my goodness, she gave me a fright.

There was a large, shallow candle on the shelf in the bathroom, and as I was walking through the hallway, I looked into the bathroom and thought I saw that the end of Scarlett's tail was in the candle. Sure enough, the last three or four inches of her tail were engulfed in flames.  I ran toward her, which scared her and caused her to jump off the shelf and run past me toward the living room.  Fortunately, her speed put out the flames, but I was worried that her fur might still be smoldering.  I also couldn't tell if she'd been injured, although her nonchalance suggested she hadn't been.

Geoff grabbed Scarlett and held her over the tub while I grabbed her tail, which she kept trying to tuck under herself, and doused most of her back end in cold water.  Charred fur crunched off her tail and went everywhere as I rinsed. Melly, ever curious, came to watch the proceedings, propping her front paws on the edge of the tub to get a better view.  Scarlett was thoroughly displeased at the whole situation and left poor Geoff rather bloody from her struggles.

Eventually, when I was satisfied that the flames were out and Scarlett was uninjured, we let her go to groom her tail fur back into place.  Although the fur at the end of her tail is a bit singed and patchy where it burnt unevenly, Scarlett is none the worse for wear.  The apartment, however, still smells a bit like scorched hair.  

Here is Scarlett prior to The Incident, snuggling with me while I watched a movie:




18 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

OMC! We're so glad she's okay, minus some fur.

This is why our mom doesn't light candles anymore -- she figures we'd do something similar!

~*Connie*~ said...

oh your poor heart!! I can just imagine...

well actually I can do a smidge more then image because we have had a few singed whiskers over here which is why i have packed away all of my candles too.

I'm so glad that Scarlett is OK!

threecatyard said...

Perhaps a wire cage around a lit candle would help keep tails and whiskers at a safe distance.

No idea if they sell pretty ones, but you could get chicken wire from the hardware store.

threecatyard said...

http://www.antiquefarmhouse.com/index.php/1-71.html


Apparently what I am thinking about is called a 'cloche'. The above is a nice one made of chicken wire...

Nerissa said...

Thank goodness you were there to help her in her time of need! purrs

BeadedTail said...

We're glad that Scarlett is okay! We don't have any candles in our house and now we know why!

PeeS: Thank you for your thoughts for our sisfur Sadie. It's a very sad time in our house.

Rene said...

That must have been so scary! We are so glad she is ok though.

Anonymous said...

I gave up flame candles after a couple of close calls. Many places (Bed, Bath & Beyond?) have flameless ones that flicker like the real deal providing the ambience but none of the hazards (also nice during power outages)--I can fall asleep with a "candle" on and not worry. Has your heart stopped racing yet? You must have been an absolute basket case.

Cynthia M. Suprenant said...

Oh dear! Well, this seals the deal that Geoff is the "right guy", doesn't it? Quick thinking, quick action, and he took care of the kitty even 'though she resisted. God bless him! Glad it was just a bad scare. Scarlett? Don't light your tail on fire again, please!

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Holy Cod! There really IS a "runnin like yer tail's on fire"? Poor Scarlett!

Repositório said...

;-)

Laura said...

Oh, my goodness, Scarlett! You shouldn't scare your humans like that -- not to mention it can't feel good, setting your tail on fire!

I definitely agree with the suggestions for no more real candles -- although those flameless ones sound interesting; I'll have to check them out. Between the animals and a husband whose eyes swell shut in candle smoke, we can't have the regular kind, but sometimes there's just no substitute for candlelight. :)

Annie said...

Oh poor Scarlett! I'm glad she's okay and recovered quickly. What a brave girl!

(And Geoff is a brave man for making the tackle...)

Marlene said...

Lucky Scarlett to have Geoff and you to worry about her :) Oh, and Melly too.

meowmeowmans said...

Oh, that is so scary! We are glad Scarlett is okay (we hope Geoff will be, too).

Sparkle said...

I'm glad Scarlett just had some singed fur and nothing else! It sounds like Geoff may be the worse for wear, though!

Simba said...

How frightening. We are so glad Scarlett is OK. How funny, Melly coming and peering in on the washing proceedings.

MrsB said...

I never leave candles unattended anymore - for the same reason, my big Maine Coon Mr. Kitty swiped his tail on a Yankee Candle sitting on my desk. Thank goodness I was sitting there. No damage - but boy did that burning fur smell.