Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Trish's Mom's Rhubarb Pie

After I made the strawberry rhubarb pie a couple weeks ago, Trish of Katnip Lounge sent me her mom's creamy rhubarb pie recipe.  I'd never had straight-up rhubarb pie before, so I was curious to try it, and did so on Sunday.  It was delicious!  A really excellent pie filling.

And, you guys, I finally conquered pie crust!  I have my perfect recipe!  There was much happy dancing in the kitchen of chez Natalie this weekend, let me tell you.  The pie doesn't look like much, I know, but this crust and this filling are absolutely heavenly.



Natalie's Perfect Pie Crust
(makes enough for one 9-inch double-crust pie)

4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup cold shortening
1/2 cup cold butter, chopped
1 tablespoon white vinegar
6 tablespoons cold water
1 egg and 1 teaspoon of water for egg wash

Whisk or sift together the flour and salt.  Then, add the cold shortening and cut it into the flour with a pastry cutter until the mixture has the texture of sand.  Next, add the butter and cut it into the mixture until the butter pieces are about pea-sized.  Add the tablespoon of vinegar and work it into the dough, then add the water a couple of tablespoons at a time, cutting the dough between each addition.  Add the bare minimum of water for the dough to hold together.  (I used 6 tablespoons and my dough was a little crumbly, which made it pretty much impossible to flute the edges later.  If you want a really pretty pie crust, you will probably want to add another tablespoon of water.) Form the dough into two balls and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before rolling out.

Trish's Mom's Creamy Rhubarb Pie
Makes 1 9-inch double crust pie

Preheat oven to 375F

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups sugar (for a sweeter pie, use 2 cups sugar)
2 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon soft butter
2 packages (1 lb. each) frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
4 cups fresh cut-up rhubarb may be used in place of frozen rhubarb 
           
In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, flour, salt and soft butter. Mix until well blended.  Stir in rhubarb.  Pour into pastry-lined 9-inch pie pan.  Roll your remaining dough.  Cut into strips 1/2 inch wide; crisscross over filling to form lattice top.  Fold edge under bottom crust, pressing to seal.  Flute edge.  Put a cookie sheet under the pie to catch any leaks if it bubbles over, and bake at 375F for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Cool.

Tips from Trish/her mom:  Use a deep dish pie pan. Don't skimp on the rhubarb, it will bake down. If you use frozen rhubarb, put in some of the juice.

Note from Natalie: I used a pound and a half of rhubarb, which is a lot more than 4 cups by volume.  I ended up with a ton of extra liquid in the pie, but I loved the taste so it worked out fine.  Next time I think I'll throw in some tapioca to try and absorb some of that extra liquid, though.

10 comments:

Rene said...

Don't sell yourself short--that pie is gorgeous! It looks perfect. And yes, a good crust is always worth celebrating!! You should upload this recipe in allrecipes! I'm sure others would enjoy a good crust too.

Katnip Lounge said...

WANT!

My Mom always does a lattice crust too!

~*Connie*~ said...

I used to make pie.. But I'm not a fan of making crust in the least.

although that recipe sure does tempt me into trying it again.. maybe I'll make it a crumble instead..

Marlene said...

looks delicious!

Nerissa said...

So THAT'S what you're supposed to do with that rhubarb plant the peep has growing in MY garden. I'll have to inform the peep! purrs

meowmeowmans said...

That looks DELISH! I sense that there's some baking in our not-to-distant future! :)

Sparkle said...

Paws up on mastering crust! That's even more crucial to a good pie than the filling.

Princess Jasmine said...

Oooh, the pie looks lovely. Did you have it with lashings and lashings of custard :)xx

ABBY said...

Wish we had smell-o-vision

--grin--

Looks deeeelicious

purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

BeadedTail said...

That looks so good! Great job on the lattice work!