Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cooling Temperature and Tempers

When the temperatures are warmer, Scarlett and Melly's already tense relationship gets even tenser.  Scarlett wants nothing to do with Melly, and growls if she gets within a few feet.  Fortunately, the weather is finally starting to cool off, and Scarlett is becoming more tolerant of Melly.  

I took this picture (very stealthily, over my shoulder and with the camera zoomed way in)  a couple of days ago:


Scarlett gave Melly dirty looks the whole time she was laying there, but there weren't any growls for almost half an hour!  

Yesterday evening, Scarlett was snuggled up between Geoff and me on the couch, and Melly came up behind her and very gently laid her head on Scarlett's hip.  I braced myself for the flying fur and flailing claws, but they never came: Scarlett tolerated Melly's presence for fifteen whole minutes!

And then, later in the evening, Melly was in bed under the covers, and Scarlett jumped on the bed and lay down almost right on top of her.  I'm not sure if Scarlett knew Melly was there or if she just thought there was a gently vibrating heating pad under the blanket, but either way, it was adorable.



10 comments:

Rene said...

We've had those moments here too. Makes you want to hold your breath and stay as still as possible to make it last!

Cynthia M. Suprenant said...

I really admire Scarlett's tenacity in continuing to give Melly "stink eye" while Melly snoozes. :) There's no mistaking her annoyance -- her posture tells all!

BeadedTail said...

Scarlett, we're glad you're tolerating your sisfur more and sure hope it continues!

meowmeowmans said...

We hope those cooler temperatures (and that tolerant behavior) continue! :)

Marlene said...

That is adorable. Chani is now allowing Sheamus Popoki to be within reach of her. He rolls around and actually invades her space. She tolerates it.

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

I can relate to Scarlett. I'm like that with my husband, heat or no heat :)

Stacy Hurt said...

I certainly hope that cooler temps come sooner than later too. Our Girls are so be-otchy to each other and the boyz. Sheesh!

These two are so darling though.

xoxo
That Woman

~*Connie*~ said...

I used to have two cats and one could not stand the other. Over the years the tolerance level increased so I can totally relate to your enjoying their getting along.

Sparkle said...

I bet Scarlett does not hate Melly as much as she would have you believe.

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

"Not growling" is a good sign...