Thursday, September 20, 2012

An Apartment Without Cats

My landlord is doing a small repair project in my apartment this week, so Geoff has very kindly taken the cats to his condo for a while. I was there on Tuesday and Melly was happy as a clam, running around at breakneck pace and rolling gleefully on the thick carpets. Scarlett was still a little uneasy from the trip, but she was clearly thrilled to get lots more snuggle time with Geoff. (Text message received from Geoff: "Scarlett just drooled on my lap.")

When I came home yesterday, it took a few seconds before I realized I didn't have to edge through the door to prevent feline escape. It was liberating to leave the door ajar while I got the mail, and freeing to leave the chewables (hairpins, headphones, cables) out in the open instead of hiding them from Melly.  But the apartmet was, and is, eerily still.  It's unsettling to be going about my business without a cat on my lap, or creepily watching me, or trying to eat my hair.

Aside from the disorienting lack of feline company, there is another problem resulting from the cats' absence: spiders.  Melly, as you know, is a ruthless assassin of arachnids, and although spider limbs can frequently be found scattered about the floor (Melly prefers to snack only on the middle bit), I didn't realize just how much she was doing to keep the population in check. It had been weeks since I'd seen a live one, but in the first five minutes after I got home from work yesterday--this was after less than 48 hours of catlessness--I found two Tegenaria duellica, also known as the giant house spider.

Now, small house spiders and spiders that live outside don't bother me in the least, but Tegenaria duellica gives me the willies. We did not have them where I grew up, so I was utterly unprepared the first time I saw one in Seattle--in the shower I had just stepped into. It was a particularly vulnerable moment of horror, and I've been terrified of them ever since. Therefore, it was very exciting when Melly demonstrated her enthusiasm for dispatching these fearsome beasts, although my appreciation for her talents is much greater now that I am under siege!*

The two spiders I found are each trapped under a glass on the kitchen floor.  I'm not sure what to do with them and am considering leaving them there until Melly gets back.




*This might be a slight exaggeration. 

11 comments:

Rene said...

Oh it must be very strange to have no cats in your apartment. I sure hope the project is finished quickly. I had to laugh at the trapped spiders. My hubby would have taken them outside (alive).

BeadedTail said...

And people say kitties do nothing but sleep! Hope Melly can come home soon to resume her tough duties as spider killer!

~*Connie*~ said...

I don't know if I could sleep under such a siege!

I bet Melly is going to get some extra lovin next time she leaves a few limbs around to remind you of the valuable service she provides

Sparkle said...

Can you put those spiders in an envelope and mail them to me? I would LOVE a snack!

Cynthia M. Suprenant said...

Great post! Made me laugh out loud and I appreciated the links. UGH!!! "...it is the only species of the whole Agelenid family to be able to bite through the whole thickness of human skin." I'd run and hide, or join Geoff until the catless situation can be remedied.

Stacy Hurt said...

If you carefully slide a piece of stiff paper under the glass you would be then safe to move them elsewhere. I personally wouldn't be able to sleep knowing two things;
1. they were still there, watching me, thru the glass, getting irritated
and
2. (conversely) they were slowly being asphixiated. Which would bother me too, even though it's a spider, and big and creepy.

Can you go borrow Melly for just like an hour or so?

MOL
xoxo
That Woman


*note to self, never move to Seattle*

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

grab a bunch of paper towels and slam those suckers!

Marlene said...

Oh gosh, you poor thing! Mine are useless for actually catching and killing bugs. Fortunately, I am pretty bug free except for the bee that slipped in and stung me a few weeks back

Kjelle Bus said...

My mom hate giant House Spiders too , they give her willies and she screams for dad efurrytime she see´s one.
It´s useless to scream my name since I don´t hunt them :)

Cat said...

I can well imagine how odd your apartment feels without the cats!!!! The largest spider I ever saw (and I hate them also) was in the bathroom of our beach house in Maui...it was like a mouse with legs GAH!!!

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Occasionally, I let the cats into the garage and close the door. After a few minutes it IS strange not to have them collect around me in any room I go to. But you are right, it IS freeing turning around and walking without looking and casually walking through outside doors without being stealthy. ~ TBT