Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Puyallup Fair

Geoff and I went to the Puyallup (Pew-AL-up) Fair on Sunday, and it was a lot of fun. I took tons of pictures of the draft horses and fancy chickens. Scarlett is sitting with me as I type this and is quite fascinated by the chicken pictures:

Evolutionary advantage: indistinguishable front and back ends.



As silly as the pompom chickens were, my favorite animals were the draft horses. 

Check out those legs, they're like tree trunks!

This fellow was quite good natured and gamely put up with being pawed at by dozens of grubby little hands.

The Percheron were absolutely massive: all around two tons, and over six feet tall at the shoulders. Their hooves were the size of dinner plates.

I had to promise to watch part of a football game to get Geoff to look at the quilts with me, but it was worth it. 
The black-and-white one in the middle was my favorite.

I love the pattern of the middle quilt.

We capped off the day with some barbecue--delicious!

6 comments:

Rene said...

Those are chickens? Wow, they look like rabbits! The quilts are gorgeous. Handiwork like that is impressive.

~*Connie*~ said...

it's fair season!! :) I hope it wasn't that game that was all over the news this morning that you agreed to watch.

Aunty Pol said...

WOW..LOL..I just came back from the Pullman/Palouse area on vacation..WSU class of mumble middle aged person here...so the post made me laugh , I actually know how to pronounce Puyallup . We did more of the drive down to Bend and then over to the Oregon coast this time to look at the lighthouses and invade all the little coastal shops.

Waving from Houston ,

Aunty Pol/Jane

Sparkle said...

Those were CHICKENS?? How can anyone find the meat underneath all that fluff?

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

I am laughing my head off at Sparkle and I sooo agree!
Love the horses!
Get into football girlfriend, it's worth it!

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Those are all a bit scary...