Thursday, October 4, 2012

Apple Ginger Pie

Here is pie number two! This one isn't too much of a departure from a standard apple pie, but the ginger in the filling adds a bit of pizzazz, and the sauce (oh, the sauce) makes it quite decadent indeed.


A note on the crust: Laura asked if I got the suggestion about refrigerating the dough from her. The answer is that I'm not entirely sure where the idea came from originally: I did a lot of research on crust methods and ingredients. I will say that getting a consensus from bakers I know (or know online) about things like refrigerating the dough, or cutting the flour and shortening to a certain size, was incredibly helpful.


Apple Ginger Pie
Recipe came from Bon Apetit via Epicurious
Original recipe here

Ingredients
Filling
3 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and sliced. Use a mix of apples, preferably tart ones.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 teaspoon apple pie spice (I eyeballed a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves that totaled a bit more than a teaspoon)

Cider-Bourbon Sauce
5 cups apple cider, the fresh kind if you can find it
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons bourbon


For Finishing

double pie crust (see recipe below)
egg beaten with a little water, or milk
sugar (optional)

vanilla ice cream

Directions
For pie
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss all filling ingredients together in a bowl.

Roll out 1 dough disk between two pieces of parchment paper to 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch deep-dish glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Mound filling in pie dish. Roll out second dough disk and drape over apples. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Press crust edges together to seal; crimp. Cut a few decorative slits to allow steam to escape. Brush crust with milk or egg mixture. Sprinkle sugar over crust (optional). Bake until golden brown, covering with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour.

Let pie stand until just slightly warm, about 1 hour. Serve pie with ice cream and drizzle with sauce.

For the cider-bourbon sauce:
Boil apple cider in heavy medium saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 45 minutes. Add butter and sugar and whisk until butter melts. Boil 3 minutes, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat. Whisk in bourbon. Cool sauce completely before serving.

Perfect Pie Crust
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup cold shortening
1/2 cup cold butter, chopped
1 tablespoon white vinegar
6-7 tablespoons cold water

Whisk or sift together the flour and salt.  Then, add the cold shortening and cut it into the flour with a pastry cutter until the mixture has the texture of sand.  Next, add the butter and cut it into the mixture until the butter pieces are about pea-sized.  Add the tablespoon of vinegar and work it into the dough, then add the water a couple of tablespoons at a time, cutting the dough between each addition.  Add the bare minimum of water for the dough to hold together. (I usually use 7, which makes it a smidge less flaky, but much easier to work with). Form the dough into two balls and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before rolling out.

5 comments:

Rene said...

Your pies look so perfect! Geoff is a lucky man. ;-)

Fuzzy Tales said...

That looks SO good. I'm drooling, what with my sugar addiction. :-)

-Kim

Stacy Hurt said...

HAHAHA!~ That's awesome! Your pie crust recipie is nearly identical to the one handed down to me from my mom who got it from her grandma! Since I'm 50 that's a reallllly long time ago!

I found long ago that chilling cookie dough gave better results too! Cookies stay more firm through baking.

now I'm hungry
this is all your fault

This is the same crust I use for my chicken pot pie. A family favorite! (and super easy!)

That Woman

debbie said...

Chilling the dough allows the butter/shortening to get really cold again (after cutting in) which is part of the secret to a flaky crust.

Laura said...

Oh, good -- I'm so glad other, better bakers agree with the hint I'd learned about refrigerating the crust dough. I *think* I got it originally from my mother's 1942 edition of The Joy of Cooking, so it's certainly not my original idea! (Incidentally, the newer editions of that cookbook have removed so many great old-fashioned ideas that I highly recommend trying to find a pre-1950, or earlier, edition to learn about the things your grandma knew but forgot to tell you!)

And your pie looks HEAVENLY.