Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thanksgiving Pies

I got back Monday afternoon from visiting family in Iowa for Thanksgiving. I realized on Monday, somewhere over Colorado, that I'd forgotten to schedule a blog post, so I'm sorry about that.  Anyway, my humble contribution to the Thanksgiving cause was pie: apple-cranberry, apple-ginger, and pumpkin.* For the top crusts of the apple pies, I decided to try something I saw at the state fair earlier this year: one of the prize-winning pies had a festive-looking top crust made of overlapping star-shaped cut-outs.  Here is my version:


It couldn't have been easier to do. I just rolled out the dough, cut out the hearts, and brushed each one with milk before placing it on the pie. If you are like me and have trouble rolling out a circular top crust, or if your dough tends to be a bit crumbly, this technique is the way to go!  



*The pumpkin filling came out of a can due to time constraints, but I was recently given a delicious-looking recipe for pumpkin pie that I will be testing soon. I'll be sure to report back.

10 comments:

Rene said...

That is a way cool crust. I would have never thought to try that.

kelley said...

great crust...I usually go with lattice but this will be so much easier...and fun!

Nerissa said...

Pretty neat pie there! Pretty and everthing. purrs

~*Connie*~ said...

*virtually smacks your hand* there is nothing humble about a pie. Pies are awesome. I have tremendous respect for anyone who tackles pie crusts..

Isaac, Emily, and Laura said...

That's a very pretty pie! And don't be ashamed of pumpkin out of a can; it's still pretty tasty because it's, well, pumpkin! I've always just made the pie filling recipe right off the back of the can anyway, which is also equally tasty (but still very simple). And never, EVER make apologies for a handmade crust -- anyone who hasn't given in and bought their crust out of the refrigerator compartment deserves at least a few gold stars! :)

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

I would love a chicken pot pie with that crust on top!

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

I am soooooooo envious of this EXQUISITE PIE!

I can't bake worth a darn. I can cook super well but I can't bake. This looks WONDERFUL!

Cynthia M. Suprenant said...

Wow, Natalie, that is GORGEOUS!

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Heart-crust! OMG, THUD!

Tabitha said...

Wow that looks amazing! what a great idea for a crust. I will have to try that because I cant roll a circle for my life! LOL