Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Independence Day!

And happy Thursday to everyone not in the good ol' US of A!

I don't have any cat pictures for today, but I do have a YouTube video to share. It's one of my favs.



My dad's family came to the US when he was a kid, and my mom's forbears came over in the 1800s, and I get a little misty-eyed thinking about those young families making the brave choice to leave everything they knew behind and start over here. And it's all because of a few rebellious and tenacious people a couple hundred years ago who set in motion the development of this country, one that became the Better Place to which so many immigrants have come.

Lest you think I'm being blindly patriotic, I assure you that I'm very aware of the past and present problems of the US, but on this day I like to put those aside and focus on the positive. The ideals of this country are worth celebrating, even if the reality isn't always.

Have a wonderful time with your families today, everyone, and stay safe.





4 comments:

meowmeowmans said...

Happy Independence Day, dear friends! :)

Brooch Czarina said...

Happy ID4 to all!

~Brooch Czarina
~~Mommi
~~Mommy
~~Grandma

Simba said...

Yup, it isn't a perfect country, but it is pretty good! And founded on immigrants - Mom gets all choked up going to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. Happy Independence Day!

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

This was a day to be thinking of the good things... But we were UTB last night.