Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pet Beds: A Heart Tutorial

This will be my last post on the subject for a while, I promise.

"We are so sick of hearing about this project, Mom.
Seriously, talk about us more."

There was another request for a tutorial on the pet beds, so I will again refer you to the instructions Sue over at Pitter Pats of Baby Cats put together: http://www.pitterpatsofbabycats.com/2011/04/finally-as-requested.html.  Sue's post was the original inspiration for this project, and her instructions are the ones I use.

Here's a quick how-to on the heart that goes in the middle of the beds I make. It does serve a purpose--keeping the batting in place--but mainly I think it's sweet. The heart is the last step in making the bed, after you've already put the batting inside, sewed it closed, and stitched a border.

Sewing the Heart


1. Cut a heart pattern out of scrap fabric. I used one of Geoff's old t-shirts for mine.  The size doesn't much matter, but here's a sample to give an idea of the heart-to-bed ratio:


2. Pin the heart pattern onto the center of your pet bed.

3. Evict the tabby.

4. Evict the tuxie.


5. Sew around the outside of your pattern. I like to start at the top and go around clockwise.


And voila! You're done.




7 comments:

Rene said...

We'd have to add an extra step to ours (three cats). They look great!

Alice Marie said...

You're so lucky to have such good helpers. After all, you don't want to be giving away UN-TESTED kitty beds, they might be defective!

HeidiK said...

Hahaha!!! Love the "evict" steps and photos -- I am over here laughing like a hyena! :)

Photo Cache said...

steps 3 and 4 got our mama LOL'ing.

emma and buster

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

If my human tried this, after she got done with steps three and four, she'd do step five and STILL wind up with something that only looked like a vague impression of a heart. She took sewing in middle school and made lots of stuff, but EVERYTHING needed safety pins to keep from falling apart or to fit properly. It was one of her rare C's, and I don't know how she managed to get that high of a grade.

Katnip Lounge said...

Thank You!!!!

I bookmarked the link. You rock!

Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

even with a pattern I am pretty sure I couldn't make such a good looking heart in the middle :)