Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Q&A, Round 1

First of all, thank you for the caption suggestions for Friday's post! You all are so funny. And I think you nailed Scarlett's tone: utter disgust at Melly's lack of decorum.

Before I get into the Q&A, here's your daily dose of adorability. I bring you...

Geoff dozing while using Melly as a pillow. She is, as you can imagine, thrilled.

Moving right along.

Rene asked: I was wondering if Melly has problems with hairballs, since she has all that hair? 

I’m not really sure what a normal hairball situation is since Scarlett gets maybe one hairball a year, but Melly does get sizeable hairballs sometimes. I try to brush her regularly, which seems to make the hairballs a bit more manageable. It's kind of sad and funny to watch her hurk them up, though: she sort of shoots herself backward instead of projecting the hairball out forward.

Karen asked: I imagine Scarlett has shorter whiskers because of her more svelte physique. What is their weight difference? 

Believe it or not, the cats weigh about the same amount. It's been a while since they've been weighed officially, so I held them and stepped on the bathroom scale yesterday. I intentionally have a scale that's a bit vague, but as far as I can tell, both cats weigh about 10.5lbs. Melly is a big girl--very long, and her paws are huge--but she's actually thin under all that floof; Scarlett is more petite but is overweight.

A side note about the whiskers: my completely unscientific observation has been that cats' whiskers are roughly in proportion with their hair. Long hair = longer whiskers. So, unfortunately for Scarlett, she's genetically predisposed to stubby whiskers.  Anyone else care to weigh in on this, or add some science to back me up/prove me wrong?

Katnip Lounge asked: What is each of their favorite people foods? 

Scarlett loves all food, but meat (of course) and dairy are her favorites. Sometimes I accidentally-on-purpose leave my dishes unattended when I’m done eating so Scarlett can lick them clean, but she has a hard time waiting for ice cream and cereal bowls, and always tries to stick her nose in while I’m still eating. For dessert sometimes, Geoff and I will get a few fancy cheese to have with wine, and I sneak little nibbles of the soft cheeses to Scarlett. Geoff thinks it’s a total waste, but Scarlett does love her triple creams.

Melly, on the other hand, is uninterested in people food. The only foods she likes are ones she gets anyway: chicken, which she loves, and fish. She’s pretty specific about her fish, though—it must be salmon, and it can’t be heavily seasoned. If I make chicken or salmon, I usually have to eat it standing up in the middle of the room because Melly will do pretty much anything to get at it.

5 comments:

Simba said...

MOL: " If I make chicken or salmon, I usually have to eat it standing up in the middle of the room because Melly will do pretty much anything to get at it."

Rene said...

Scarlett has the right idea about people food--
signed, Benny

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

Wow, Melly is even crazier about chicken and salmon than Binga is! At least the humans here can eat sitting down, although with some yelling involved.

Katnip Lounge said...

Wonderful answers!

I have to eat sardines--get this--at WORK, or risk being mauled.

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Hmm, is that a Blue Man In Training?