Monday, February 3, 2014

An Experiment in Raw Food

Before I got Melly, I knew nothing about feline nutrition. Melly, as it turned out, had a sensitive system, so I started reading up and eventually settled on a grain-free diet of mostly canned food. This has been working well, but I've been doing some more reading and have gotten interested in raw food. 

I got a whole chicken recently and spent a good part of the weekend making various chicken-based dishes. I gave the innards to the cats as a test to see whether they were into the raw food concept. 

"This is the best thing ever!"

"Nom nom nom."

"I am skeptical, but Melly seemed to like it so I'll give it a go."
[Photobomb by Melly]

The cats really liked the squishy pieces but were much less interested in anything that required gnawing. Unfortunately, both cats liked to remove the food from the bowl and eat it in the middle of the kitchen floor, which isn't particularly sanitary.  I ended up bleaching the floor repeatedly over the course of the weekend. (When I cut everything into tiny bite-size pieces, they were more likely to keep things in the bowl. Lesson learned.)

So, the verdict is that the cats are big fans of raw chicken parts... as long as they're relatively easy to chew. They were pretty gross to prepare so I'm not sure I'll be replacing their regular food with raw on a day-to-day basis. But it's good to know that the cats are receptive--I think chicken livers will be an occasional treat going forward.


8 comments:

Rene said...

Hooray! You probably already know there are pre made commercial diets available that you can mix into their regular rotation of food.

Alice Marie said...

That's great. I wish Alice would eat raw meat. I've tried all kinds and she just gives me that "Are you kidding?!" face. Maybe I'll keep trying. She used to turn her nose up at canned food but now she eats a little of that....
Alice's Mum

Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

that is one benefit of raw food is that cats need to chew much harder and it builds up their jaw muscles which is good for dental health (as well as the gnawing on tough meat and ripping flesh is also good for dental health)

that being said, I have a few of The Crew that grew up on dry food and refuses to eat anything that isn't mushy - no matter how I try..

Marilia Bavaresco said...

Yumii!!!!

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

My human wants to try one of the prepared raw food brands on us, but every time she is at the pet store, she's in the middle of a bunch of errands and is worried it will spoil before she gets home. I DO think she should make a special trip to the market and bring us home some chicken livers!

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Raw chicken is just a BIG raw birdie, and WE love birdies.

Percy the Cat said...

My mum feeds me and my sister Zowie raw (Pandora will have nothing of it), and Zowie especially had to work up to bigger pieces, because before then, she'd only ever eaten canned and dry foods. Now she loves to gnaw on some bigger pieces of chicken. (Mum mixes our raw chicken and turkey with supplements from tcfeline.)

Scarlett and Melly will get used to it if you keep giving it to them. And they'll have healthier coats, less stinky poos, and nice cat breath. :)

Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

so... how's it going?