Thursday, July 3, 2014

Cat Dreams

As I'm typing this, Melly is out cold and belly-up at the foot of my bed. At odd intervals, she is squirming, kicking, and violently thrashing her tail. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've never seen a cat as active in her sleep as Melly; she routinely engages in what appears to be a sort of somnolent feline karate. I wish I could provide video, but getting up to retrieve my phone or camera would disturb our fuzzy little martial artist.

Do your cats do this? What do you suppose they dream about?

7 comments:

Karen said...

This seems more common in kittens and young cats, and peters out as they age - that's been my experience, at any rate. One hypothesis I read is they are dreaming of hunting. It's cute, at any rate!

Karen said...

PS: You sure get up early!

Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

if only you had google glass

Emily and Laura said...

A couple of weeks ago my 19-year-old Emily was lying on my lap, and she started dreaming -- but only her eyebrows were twitching! It was ridiculously cute, but I have zero idea what it was all about. She was making eyes at a handsome mancat, maybe?

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

When we're asleep, we're out! My human has never seen us move around like that.

catonsvillecats said...

My cats who dream tend to move their front paws with little paddly motions that make me wonder if they're dreaming of running. And sometimes they twitch their whiskers. It's pretty hilarious.

Photo Cache said...

my cats can be active dreamers too. buster even woke up crying/meowing out for me. he only settled down when i went over and hugged him.

Emma and Buster