Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Big Cats

Before I get to today's post, just a couple thoughts on yesterday's.  First, thank you all for your kind thoughts and suggestions!  Second, a number of you suggested having the vet collect a urine sample, and I wanted to explain why we're not going that route.  You may recall that Scarlett has a lot of vet-related fear and anxiety; part of how she expresses her fear is by emptying her bladder and bowels, usually while she's being handled. When she last went to the vet, they collected a urine sample from what she'd eliminated inside her cage, but the results were ambiguous and they think the sample may have been contaminated, probably by Scarlett herself. So, the idea behind collecting at home is that I should be able to get an uncontaminated sample, and Scarlett will not be traumatized by the process. Josh had the idea of sneakily putting the temporary litter box inside the usual one when Scarlett went to use it, but I was really worried she'd just go off and pee in the closet or something. A number of you have had luck sticking a container under the cat while it's peeing, which I honestly hadn't even considered, but it sounds worth a try! 

And, on to today's post...

I went to the zoo recently and was excited to see the tiger cubs. I last went to the zoo in February, when the cubs were very small and roly-poly, so it was fun to see how big they've gotten. You can't tell from the photos, but they're about the size of a Labrador.


Look at that fuzzy little face! Well, not little; his head was about as big as mine.


Remind you of anyone? Perhaps a certain fuzzy tuxie?


And here's the cubs' mum, who caught me taking her photo. Isn't she a beauty?



5 comments:

Simba said...

They really are just great big pussy cats, aren't they?

Good luck re the pee sample!

Rene said...

Tigers are so majestic. Here's hoping Scarlett continues getting better!

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Those tigers are amazing! I hope you have luck getting that urine sample from Scarlett - she's really a hard case! Have you considered having a vet that does home visits do it?

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Yike! We first thought maybe the grass was real small, ya know? BUT TBT said no they are HUGE kittehs. What size mice do they eat?

Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I am so far behind on my blog reading I have no idea what the collection sample thing is all about, but I can guess..

One trick that worked for me was put a new litter box down and then tell her she can't use it.. put it in a locked room if you can.. then 'accidentally' let her in there..

Jack could not resist.. first thing he did was run to the box and pee in it. I was able to collect a sample (mostly because he stands up while he pees) and I was in luck! I've heard of people using ladles to collect samples too.

those tiger cubs. *swoon* what I wouldn't do to volunteer with some place that had big cats.