Friday, November 6, 2015

Neighbor Kitties

I like my neighborhood, but one thing that bugs me is that people let their pets roam freely. Indoor vs. outdoor cats is a hot topic so I won't get into it, but I think we can all agree that dogs should be kept on a leash or in a fenced yard!  Anyway, our yard is a high-traffic area for about 10-12 neighborhood cats, most of whom are somewhat friendly.

In the picture below, the large window on the right is the living room. It has a very wide sill and is only about 18" off the floor, so it is a favorite perch for Scarlett and Melly. Because it's so low to the ground, the neighborhood cats like to sit on the porch and stare in at my kitties. This results in Melly singing the song of her people and Scarlett screaming like a banshee. Fun times. Fortunately, times like that jolt me back to reality if I've been dreaming of getting a kitten. Ha!

This has become a fairly common sight when I arrive home. This gray cat doesn't like when I get too close, but he sure seems to like the front mat!


I came home one day recently and found that Gray Kitty had gotten a bit more audacious, claiming an Amazon box for his own:

"What? You weren't using it."

8 comments:

Rene said...

ROTFL, wow, he was warming your box for you!

Karen said...

You are SO funny! (Singing the song of her people...!)

Photo Cache said...

Boxes always belong to kitties.

CatonsvilleCats said...

Hope the sill on the outside isn't wide enough for someone to jump up and sit on it! We had an audacious neighborhood feral who'd do that and get mine ALL screamy. I went to Office Depot and bought a plastic mat you put down on an office rug for rolling chairs, cut it into strips with a jigsaw, and put them pointy-bits up on the outside window sills. Cured that fellow right away and no more screamies.

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Well, that gray cat has some nerve!

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

WE roam in our yard, but seldom out of it. TBT doesn't like it.

Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I was going to say it seems time to take in that welcome mat, but if you are going to be ordering boxes for the cat, I'm guessing you want it there. ;)

Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

(maybe a few lemon or orange rinds around the entrance way might help deter the kitty from enjoying the concerts that Scarlett and Melly put on)